Pulsed Power Engineer
Raytheon Albuquerque is part of Raytheon Missile Systems’ (RMS’) Strategic and Naval Systems (SNS) product line, providing comprehensive expertise in high power electromagnetics (HPEM), pulsed power, power electronics, and prime power engineering; diagnostics design and HPEM effects testing; radio frequency (RF) and particle code simulation; and control and data acquisition systems. Raytheon Albuquerque’s efforts primarily include the development of new concepts and techniques through research and development programs and the implementation of those technologies in prototype systems.
The Directed Energy team at Raytheon Albuquerque previously developed the payload for and continues to support development efforts associated with the Counter-electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP) system. Next generation CHAMP-like missile systems, sought to address a wide range of defense needs, are currently under development at Raytheon Albuquerque. More information on the CHAMP program can be found online.
Raytheon Albuquerque is also home to the high power microwave counter-UAV system known as the Phaser™ system. At test events around the country, the initial Phaser™ demonstrator system continues to prove the extraordinary advantage high power microwave systems provide in defending against UAV swarm attacks. Efforts are currently underway to advance the Phaser™ system concept from a demonstrator design to a fully-ruggedized, deployable system that can soon be in the hands of the warfighter. The Phaser™ system was featured in the July 2018 edition of Popular Mechanics in an article titled “The Swarm Killer”; more information can be found online.
In addition to the CHAMP and Phaser™ efforts, there are several other HPEM programs underway at Raytheon Albuquerque. Those programs span a wide range of technical maturity levels ranging from fundamental physics research and development to production-level HPEM system designs.
Job Description: The successful candidate will develop technical solutions to difficult problems related to the design, integration and test of electrical subsystems that will be integrated into directed energy products. The candidate will work under limited supervision while determining and developing independent solutions to meet overall design objectives. This position requires frequent interaction and coordination with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, scientists, external customers, and a wide variety of support staff. Using a variety of software tools and electrical test equipment, the candidate will be responsible for stages of electrical design that span the full range of the design process. The candidate will be expected to generate concepts, develop designs, test prototypes, and integrate subsystems into larger directed energy systems.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Education/ExperienceBachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Science, Mathematics, or equivalentActive Secret Clearance or the ability to obtain a Secret Clearance6+ years experience in electrical design, analysis and testingSpecific experience in pulsed power and/or power electronics systems.Desired Skills/Experience: Ability to work independently and be a self-starterAbility to work in an interdisciplinary team settingStrong written and oral communication skills including the ability to present material to customersSpecific experience in high power microwave systems.Specific experience in design for and execution of pulsed power and power electronics systems testing.Specific experience working with high voltage (300-kV to 1-MV).Experience with Altium, OrCad, PSpice, Simplorer, and/or ANSYS Maxwell.Experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis of electromagnetics and electrical circuitsExperience with printed circuit board (PCB) designs and layoutsExperience related to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)/Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Support the pulsed power and electrical engineering efforts on a variety of programs in technical execution leadership roles, sub-team leadership roles and technical support roles.
- Design, simulation, fabrication/assembly, integration and testing of electrical systems associated with prime power, pulsed power, power electronics, and high power microwave systems.
- Pulsed power system concept design, trade studies, and technical approach evaluations.
- Pulsed power system high-level and detailed design.
- Pulsed power system modeling, testing, data analysis, and reporting.
- Design, procurement, or selection of prime power (batteries, generators, etc.) and power electronics (high voltage power supplies) needs to support pulsed power systems.
- Electrical circuit design and simulation (Pspice, Simulink, Simplorer, Maxwell).
- Custom electrical component design and fabrication (inductors, capacitors, transformers).
- Selection and procurement management of commercially-available electrical components.
- Electrical system documentation (schematics, cable diagrams, wiring diagrams, timing diagrams, simulation/analysis results, safety plans, test plans, test results)
- Integration of electrical subsystems into larger systems.
- Collaborate and coordinate with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, technicians, and support staff.
- Coordinate with physicists and engineers to determine electrical system requirements.
- Coordinate with mechanical engineers to implement electrical designs in a manner that adheres to volume, weight, form factor, shock, vibration, temperature, and other environmental requirements.
- Coordinate with software engineers to develop control circuits and associated interfaces.
- Coordinate with other electrical engineers to develop and review designs and interface with other electrical systems.
- Support and participate in team meetings, design reviews, engineering review boards and configuration control boards.
- Coordinate with technicians to build and test electrical designs.
- Coordinate with support staff to manage procurement, security, and safety requirements.
- Coordinate with team leadership (program management, chief engineer, sub-team leads) to develop and evaluate costs and schedules and to assess technical risks and opportunities.
This role may be a G08 or G09 based on the candidates skills and qualifications as related to the role.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.