“Outside the box. Above the Earth. Beyond our wildest dreams. Our engineers are creating new possibilities in space.”
The Responsive Space Systems Department is currently in need for a Electro-Optical Signal Processing Systems Engineering Fellow with hardware hands-on experience and Performance Analysis, Algorithms, Control Systems, and Optical Signal Processing capabilities. The Engineering Fellow will be the chief architect for a design team building electro-optical systems including imagers, passive/active EO tracking, LIDAR, and directed energy systems. The Engineering Fellow will be responsible for performing trade studies, design, performance analysis, modeling, integration, and test of control systems in the support of the development and build of advanced electro-optical systems. The ideal candidate exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness and is viewed as an expert in areas including image/signal processing, radiometric sensitivity, optical quality, radiometric calibration and accuracy, estimation theory, numerical methods, and mathematical modeling.
Main tasks will be:
- Development of mathematical algorithms for image/signal processing and optical signal chain
- Computer modeling and simulation of sensor physics and phenomenology
- Technical presentations to both internal and external customers
- Designs, researches and develops highly advanced new applications resulting in new product / business opportunities that directly impact program / product line results for the business
- Develops information that improves upon existing processes and systems; extends knowledge in a given field; and could form the basis of new concepts, theories, and/or products
- Identifying and innovating applied proved solutions to new problems. Routinely mitigates technical risks and exploits opportunities for improvements.
- Helps shape the strategic direction of the product line by planning R&D programs and recommending technological application programs to accomplish long-range product line objectives.
- Acts independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of operational programs across a product line. Issues are often complex, requiring broad-based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
- Often instrumental in attracting and obtaining major new product line business.
- Serves as consultant to program / product line management in long-range business planning concerning new or projected areas of technological research and advancements. In this role, works to influence others to accept job function’s view/practices and agree/accept new concepts, practices, and approaches. Additionally, serves as key spokesperson on program / product line’s technical capabilities and future directions. Requires ability to communicate with and influence senior executive leadership regarding matters of strategic importance to the product line and business.
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching / mentoring and training to other employees across the business within area of expertise.
- Contributor to enterprise wide or industry activities.
- Leads by example, might be task leader (e.g. IPT leader) or Chief Engineer on a program. Ensures performance and execution of a program, identifies and exploits synergistic opportunities between and among programs.
- The systems engineer needs to have a strong background with controls and navigation systems.
- 12+ years of engineering experience working on design, build or testing of EO/IR systems or EO/IR platforms
- Requires ability to communicate with and influence senior executive leadership regarding matters of strategic importance to the product line and business.
- Applies and/or develops highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts related to signal processing.
- Knowledge of and experience with HW integration for electro-optical systems
- Prior leadership experience managing complex programs, systems engineering tasks, or multi-disciplined teams
- Experience with analytics, Matlab/Simulink and C/C++ programming
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to develop and leverage relationships with the Customer (internal and external)
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
- Ability to access to US only data systems
- Experience in the area of IR sensors, tracking, detection, optical signal processing, calibration, and radiometric sensitivity modeling
- Demonstrated experience with estimation theory and numerical methods and some practical experience with estimation and numerical methods
- Experience in space vehicle guidance, navigation and control
- EO/IR or Laser domain knowledge
- Technical experience in opto-mechanical engineering, control systems, embedded computing, or electronics
- Experience in numerical modeling and simulation, and performing analysis using MATLAB, C++, Python, or similar language
- Knowledge and experience with LabVIEW, dSpace or FPGA programming
- Desirable to have submitted at least one invention disclosure potentially leading to patents or trade secrets. Has contributed publications to company or industry conferences/symposia. Respected in the customer community of the product line.
- Current/Active DoD Secret and SSBI Clearance
Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) in ME, EE, AE, Math, Physics or related technical field; advanced degree(s) preferredDesired Education:
Master’s of Science (M.S.) or PhD in ME, EE, AE, Math, Physics or related technical fieldU.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.