The Energetics and Propulsion Department is an engineering organization in the Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD). This organization is responsible for the full spectrum of warhead, fuzing, and propulsion designs/technology, including power systems, ignition, and all other weapon initiation safety systems technology. This individual would develop architectures, top level design concepts, requirements, and performance modeling for new payload systems and other energetic needs. This position is located in Tucson, AZ
The department is in need of a Section Head to provide frontline management activities and leadership for approximately 15+ engineers who develop new Target Defeat Mechanisms, Warheads, and more. This team also provide production support for existing designs as well. The section head role includes technical oversight of our Warhead development programs, technical development of people, training, performance management, hiring, and resource allocation.
The candidate will ensure two-way communication for section members; serve as the day-to-day liaison to the programs concerning employee job assignments, performance and recognition. Responsibilities also include coordinating program staffing needs and reductions, optimizing resource utilization and interviewing applicants.
The Section Head will work with the Department Manager in the development of this new section, including goals, objectives and organizational development, and in the execution of MSD and RMS engineering goals. As the manager for the section, the candidate will need to lead large, diverse teams of 15+ engineers by providing highly skilled Mechanical Engineering design services across all program phases. The section head may also be called upon to provide proposal support including cost ROMs, formal Basis of Estimates, project plans and technology maturity plans.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Required Experience & Skills:
· A minimum of 10 years of experience (8 years with a master's degree) in warhead engineering or equivalent
·Must have demonstrated knowledge of / experience in:
· Engineering design in development projects
· Warhead or Energetic Device Design & Analyses
· Design and analysis of mechanical subsystems
· Ordnance manufacturing process technologies
· Insensitive Munitions mitigation technology (design, materials)
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, Power Point & Project)
· Project Management as applied to team interaction and deliverables
· Technical management of subcontracts on Government programs
· Development of warhead Technical Performance Measures (TPM), Key Product Characteristics (KPC), Key Characteristic Control (KCC)
· Proposal and cost preparation, requirements definition, and warhead subsystems analysis, test and verification; operational test support; supplier collaboration
· Warhead subsystem technology readiness level (TRL) maturation
· Must be willing to travel to suppliers and government facilities
· Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret security clearance
Desired Experience & Skills:
· 15 years of directly related experience in warhead subsystems design, development, and test
· Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements of work (SOW)
· Experience in business development and technology road mapping
· Demonstrated success as a team leader
· Advanced engineering degree (M.S., PhD.)
Systems architecture as warhead subsystem designer
· Co-development of threat defeat requirements from system lethality analyses and validating design lethality implementation in flight simulators
· Validation and verification of lethality elements in system performance modeling from development and qualification tests of subsystems
· Willingness to travel, including international
· Familiarity with Performance Development Process
· Familiarity with Engineering Labor Forecasting
· Excellent written and verbal skills
· Proven multitasking skills
· Demonstrated excellence in past work performance
· Working knowledge or experience with either missile design or development, production support and integration
· Experience with Military Missile systems and electronics
· Experience with the proposal capture process (development of compliant basis of estimates and ROMs)
· Familiarity with the Estimate at Complete Process
· EVMS Certified
· Six Sigma certified
· Demonstrated team player, with excellent collaboration and mentoring skills
· Advocate for process improvement (e.g., CMMI, R6?), team builder and able to build strong relationships and effectively partner with internal and external resources.
B.S. in STEM, Aerospace, Design, Mechanical or Systems Engineering; Applied Physics
M.S. in STEM, Aerospace, Design, Mechanical or Systems Engineering; Applied Physics
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.