SAIC is looking for a Mechanical Engineering Fabrication Technician. Selected candidate will support our engineering team integration and production effort for military rolling platforms and sub-assemblies. The technician may also support testing of platform and sub-assemblies. Position will require preparation for bonding, trimming and drilling of various types of composites and metals. This position requires a sense of urgency, attention to detail, flexibility within constraints of defined processes, ability to multi-task and the ability to work independently. The ideal candidate must be motivated with the ability to work to assigned deadlines and able to work in a fast-paced environment. Candidate will be required to follow all safety and environmental policies and programs; must be able to use personal safety devices as required by company policy; report any activities that could be detrimental to safety and/or the loss of productivity; report any injuries when they occur. Must be willing to cross-train into other areas as required to meet production schedules and/or manufacturing needs.
Tasking will include but not limited to:
· Operate fabrication machinery as needed.
· Design and construct templates and fixtures, using hand tools.
· May make sketches and rough layouts, record and analyze data, make calculations and estimates, and report their findings.
· Review engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences
· Set up, operate fabricating machines such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form, and assemble metal components.
· Set up face blocks, jigs, and fixtures .Lay out and examine metal stock or work pieces to be processed in order to ensure that specifications are met.
· Locate and mark work piece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
· Overhead crane operation. All employees are required to assist in plant housekeeping. Including, but not limited to - sweeping, emptying trash barrels, proper storage of chemicals, etc.
· Quality inspection
· Material handling
· High School Diploma or equivalent. Minimum 1 to 2 years' experience in prototype manufacturing environment.
· Must be a U.S. citizen
· Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
· Basic math capabilities.
· Experienced accurately measure within specified tolerances. Effective use of measuring equipment (calipers, protractor, tape measure, etc.)
· Ability to read specifications, shop drawings, schematics, and blueprints
· Must be able to operate basic cutting equipment
· Proficient in flame and plasma cutting torches
· Proficient with identification of and proper use of hand tools
· Capable of using basic precision inspection tools.
· Self-motivated with a sense of urgency in day-to-day performance.
· Must be able to work extra hours daily and on weekends as required.
· Must be able to work in a non-controlled climate - i.e. no air conditioning in the plant
· Must be able to lift 60 lbs. on a consistent basis