Raytheon’s Applied Signal Technology Division is seeking Engineers who strive for excellence and have a passion to be part of a team that strengthens our nation and improves the security of our world.
With locations in Sunnyvale and Anaheim Hills, CA, Salt Lake City, UT, McLean, VA, and Annapolis Junction, MD, Raytheon AST provides trusted strategic and tactical SIGINT solutions that protect the interests of the U.S. and its partners. AST’s work in areas such as high-capacity broadband communications, signal processing and analysis, tactical SIGINT, and wireless communications continually challenges our extraordinary engineers to solve problems and make the world a safer place. AST’s work environment is dynamic, highly collaborative and provides engineers the freedom to strengthen and expand their skills, explore new and innovative ideas, and work directly with our nation’s finest service members all while embracing integrity, diversity and work-life balance.
Raytheon offers generous reward and recognition programs in compensation, broad career development opportunities, excellent health care options, educational assistance, parental leave, flexible work schedules, 401(k) with matching, paid holidays and paid time off.
Whether you wish to live near and experience the California coast, the Maryland shores, our Nation’s capital, or Utah’s lakes and mountains, Raytheon AST encourages you to consider exploring the unique and rewarding opportunities our cutting-edge-technology team can offer.
**This particular position will be staffed in the Sunnyvale, CA or Salt Lake City, UT location.**
Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (RAST) seeks a Systems Engineer to develop, test and deploy broadband optical network platforms. This systems engineer will work closely with customers, other systems engineers and development engineers to understand customer requirements and develop a solution that integrates with the customers’ existing network and communications infrastructure.The successful Principal Systems Engineer will be able to:
- Rapidly come up-to-speed on existing products, systems and capabilities that relate to areas of current and new development.
- Understand platforms used for systems supporting US Government customers.
- Understand customer objectives and requirements, and conceptualize and put into practice new solutions.
- Brief solutions to the customer community as the customer concepts evolve into firmer requirements and expectations.
- Define, analyze and document CONOPS, requirements, specifications, and system architectures.
- Define, execute, and document technical trades, impacts, and risk analyses.
- Generate concrete plans for loosely defined and/or highly complex challenges to enable engineering teams to execute and deliver solutions accordingly.
- Lead teams of engineers to develop and integrate software, hardware and FPGA components and platforms to form new solutions.
- Lead, plan and execute system integration and test as well as system deployment efforts.
- Maintain customer focus throughout the systems/product development lifecycle to ensure satisfaction of customer objectives within cost and schedule constraints.
- Lead technical proposal preparation and program definition.
- Mentor less experienced and/or less knowledgeable engineers.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in systems engineering in multiple phases of the systems development lifecycle (e.g. CONOPS, requirements, design, integration, verification, validation, deployment).
- Breadth of experience and expertise in systems engineering activities that includes at least 3 of the following:
- define and analyze requirements
- develop architectures
- generate and maintain requirements traceability
- conduct trade studies
- identify and manage risks
- generate and manage interface control documents
- perform configuration management
- support technical reviews
- Experience leading cross-discipline (e.g., systems, software, hardware and FPGA) engineering teams to develop, integrate and deploy advanced products and systems for U.S. Government customers.
- Experience in broadband communication systems including telecommunications, optical transport systems, networking protocols, network operations, transport structures and routing & switching technologies.
- Experience with Wide Area Network (WAN) technologies including DWDM, SONET/SDH, OTN, and Carrier Ethernet at rates up to 200Gbps.
- Experience integrating large-scale optical networking systems, including signaling, network protocols, communications interfaces, network devices, optical systems, and Element and Network Management Systems (NMS).
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Strong presentation and collaboration skills, especially in working with senior leadership and external customers.
- Able and willing to travel to various RAST locations and customer facilities (up to 25% of time).
- U.S. Citizenship Status is Required as this position will require the ability to Access US Only Data Systems.
- Active TS/SCI in the last 2 years, and SSBI within the last 5 years Security Clearance required DAY ONE
- Extensive experience in systems engineering and product development for U.S. Government customers.
- Extensive experience and successful track record for leading development of multiple communication system applications, products, and/or programs.
- Practical experience in the development and implementation of large-scale distributed processing architectures, including addressing architectural processing and storage tradeoffs, dataflow bottlenecks, latency, and database performance.
- Experience with optical add-drop multiplexers (ADM), optical transceivers/transponders, coherent optical modulation formats, and related technologies.
- Experience with product realization of cost effective and low size, weight, and power (SwaP) systems.
- Experience supporting new business initiatives including generating proposals, white papers, estimates, and review packages.
- Experience with subcontract management or managing subcontractor activities.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities.
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Optical Engineering, Systems Engineering or equivalent (Master of Science Degree Desired).
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.