SAIC’s Big Timber Games develops Serious Games and other applications for US Department of Defense and Federal Civilian customers. We’ve built everything from applications which teach first aid to VR experiences for pilot training; running on phones, tablets, PCs, game consoles and AR/VR/MR headsets.
We are looking for intellectually sharp, technically talented people with a passion for making applications that make a difference. We offer a fun, creative environment, rewarding work, and excellent benefits. If you have the skills and the ambition we’d love to talk to you.
SAIC is seeking a Game Level Designer who can develop content, implement, and refine features which support training/education/simulation and other requirements while simultaneously providing the highest levels of believability and immersion. This position will be responsible for implementing a wide variety of scripted behaviors in various game development environments such as Unity, Unreal, VBS, and MAK. To qualify for this position, you must have previous experience with game design and a sound understanding of game mechanics, demonstrated creativity and strong visual aesthetics.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, art, design, animation and programming teams to develop immersive game environments
- Script behaviors (equipment, vehicles, NPCs, etc.)
- Develop interesting concepts, designs and game-play mechanics
- Work with artists and programmers to develop prototypes
- Research subject matter to create accurate and compelling environments
- Create and refine geometry to create optimized maps
- Ensure balance between training objectives, technical limitations and immersion
- Work closely with project leads to identify and resolve issues
- Review design and development work on a regular basis to ensure execution is in line with overall vision and quality standards
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Be a champion of good ideas.
- Prioritize features in the backlog.
- Use tools in-build to add, configure, debug, or refine game content.
- Listen to feedback from customers and develop solutions accordingly.
- Lead play-tests, brainstorms, and post-mortems to enhance learning.
- Work with all disciplines to find the best path forward.
- Stay current with industry methods, trends, and news.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in game level design and development in modern game engines
- Bachelor’s Degree in game development equivalent
- Sound understanding of game engine editor and scripting functions
- High degree of familiarity with Unity and/or Unreal Engine and other map designing and editing packages
- Excellent visualization skills combined with good spatial and layout design skills
- Good sense of aesthetics, design, colors and an eye for composition
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well in large and distributed teams and stick to tight schedules
- Ability to tackle challenges and problem solve with a strong sense of ownership
- Ability to work closely with many other disciplines and be a team player
Nice to Have:
- Direct experience working with military and other government customers
- Flight simulation experience