The Optics and Lasers Integrated Products Department is currently seeking a Senior Physics Engineer in El Segundo, Ca. This position is responsible for leading, designing and executing laser assemblies, integration, and test for developmental and deliverable laser systems. Responsibilities include leading multidisciplinary technical teams on cutting edge development and demonstration programs. The candidate will join a highly motivated group of laser physicists and engineers working on a variety of development tasks and deliverable products. The successful applicant shall be a highly motivated leader able to take action with limited direction, and execute / direct complicated laser and LADAR hardware programs.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs to be able to obtain a US DoD Security Clearance within first year.
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons.
- At least 4 years of professional experience with a BS degree, or 2 years of professional experience with an MS degree.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: (1) high energy lasers, (2) fiber laser systems, (3) LADAR systems and/or (4) laser system design
- Hands on experience with laser system design, development, integration and test efforts
- Ability to (1) lead design and integration and test teams, (2) plan/schedule tasks, (3) define optical/hardware components, (4) interface with vendors, (5) set up and align optical/laser hardware, (6) document/report test results, and (7) deliver laser systems
- Skilled in either LADAR or HEL laser system design
- Expert with laser characterization tests such as beam quality, wavefront-error, laser noise measurements
- Proficient in electronics, such as laser diode drivers, TEC, power supplies
- Skilled with optoelectronics, photoreceivers, and photodiode amplification circuits with an understanding of photoreceivers noise mechanisms and heterodyne detection
- Proficient with optical alignment techniques and alignment tooling such as interferometers, theodolites, autocollimators and laser trackers with optical alignment techniques
- Skilled with optical component inspection, cleaning and bonding Strong Interpersonal and Multi-tasking Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Data reduction and analysis
- Broad understanding of optics and lasers vendor capabilities
- Proficient with processes and principals of systems engineering
- Capable of reporting program cost and monitoring schedule
- Experience in leading small to medium size teams
- US Citizenship
- Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
- Ability to obtain SSBI
- Prior experience in Defense or Aerospace
- Active DoD Security Clearance
- Active SSBI
Bachelor of Science in physics, optics, or related field
Master of Science in physics, optics, or related field
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.