Senior Staff System Safety Engineer
Job ID: 496128BR
Date posted: Aug. 14, 2019
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
As we enter a new era of Strategic Weapon Systems, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world. Every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to craft, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Do you have a passion for working on emerging technologies? Are you looking for a growth opportunity where you can contribute to a very important mission? The Army is experiencing significant growth and we need your expertise to deliver amazing new technologies to our customers. We have opportunities that include advanced Hypersonic Technology, Glide Body Strike technology, and other key technology insertions. The early design and engineering phase provides you with tremendous career growth potential along with meaningful assignments to stretch and hone your expertise.
We have a rare opportunity for you to work closely alongside our Army partners to field a Long Range Hypersonic Weapon that the nation urgently needs. Lockheed Martin Space (LMS) in Huntsville, AL has an immediate opening for a System Safety Engineer to help lead this mission. In this System Safety Engineering (SSE) role, you will perform the role of technical lead in defining the system safety effort for this cutting-edge program. You will use your expertise to ensure that safety is designed into hardware and software products and that controls are incorporated and remain effective while assuring compliance to safety requirements. Additionally, you will be responsible for ensuring that hazard risks are managed, and for managing residual risk acceptance. This role will also require that you review, track, and assess hardware and software changes for hazard impacts, and develop, maintain, and update safety hazard analyses.
Your responsibilities as our SSE will also include the following tasks:
• Develop the System Safety Program Plan and program system safety strategy in accordance with MIL-STD-882E.
• Develop and/or update Preliminary Hazard List (PHL), Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Functional Hazard Analyses (FHAs), System Hazard Analyses (SHA), and Safety Assessment Reports (SAR)
• Prepare presentations and participate in Design Reviews, Test Readiness Reviews, Technical Interchange Meetings, and various working groups and safety review meetings
• Support the development and updating of System Safety documents to support Customer and Range Safety contractual requirements
• Review and provide input to test procedures for adherence to System Safety requirements
• Coordinate with test range safety teams and writing range safety reports to support testing
• Collaborate with Army safety counterparts and support weapon systems working groups
You will use your system safety experience to evaluate hardware and software ensuring mission success with occasional travel being required. This position will require frequent interaction with multiple external and internal customers.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care, 25 three-day weekends, and healthy living incentives just to name a few reasons to join Lockheed Martin.
• Bachelors degree from an accredited college in Engineering or Computer Science or related
• Demonstrated knowledge of MIL-STD-882 and its associated System Safety Tasks
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of System Safety design and operations safety principles to include experience with hazard identification, analysis, risk mitigation and associated deliverable documentation
• Demonstrated ability in identifying safety critical hardware and software
• As a successful member of the team that delivers exceptional results, you will need excellent communication skills with the ability to develop rapport and engage with the team, multiple partners and with external customers
• Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance and US citizenship required
• Experience with Hypersonic and/or Glide Body Strike technology development
• Experience working with DOD customers (US Army)
• Current Secret clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS4400 SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Systems Engineering: Other
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: 9x80A-9,9,9,9,8 hrs/d in wk1, /9,9,9,9,off in wk2