Alion Science & Technology (www.alionscience.com)
Full Time Employee
Provide subject matter expertise support in the field of military ground vehicle propulsion to the U.S. Army's Tank-Automotive Research Development Engineering Center (TARDEC)'s office of Ground Vehicle Power and Mobility. Review on-going propulsion efforts, provide engineering, technical, and programmatic feedback. Participate in the development and planning for new propulsion efforts. Participate in technical forums and joint propulsion program planning and reviews with other DoD entities and DARPA.
As an expert in the mechanical engineering discipline, possesses and applies an advanced knowledge of the field to the completion of projects of major complexity. Must have achieved recognized standing in a professional field through original contribution. Conducts highly complex engineering projects providing research, development, design, analysis, production, implementation, and co nsultation.
Works across organizations in support of program development and technical execution on technically complex high impact programs. Sets technical direction and conducts execution oversight for high visibility technically complex programs. Applies expert knowledge of scientific practices and principles in formulating or approving technical applications in broad areas of assignment. Maintains a liaison role on technical matters with staff and customers and acts independently on technical matters in field of expertise.
Recognized within Alion and the technical community as an authority in more technical specialties; has published numerous professional and scientific papers or patents. Advises senior management on challenging technical issues, assures the use of senior technical resources across the organization on multi-disciplinary problems, and provides technical guidance and leadership to senior management, program, and technical staff. Establishes peer groups of senior technical staff to periodically review technical plans, results, and work products from the organization. Has significant latitude for independent action and decision.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Oversees and performs highly complex and advanced engineering work concerned with the design, evaluation, planning, testing and operation in support of system development, engineering analysis and research for multiple programs. Originates and applies new and unique engineering methods and procedures;
* Determines the company position on technical issues collectively with senior engineering staff members; Serves as the senior technical authority in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes in areas of expertise. Advises the technical staff in developing appropriate approaches to complex or technically difficult tasks. In sensitive and critical matters, reviews and discusses the work of the technical staff to assure the technical accuracy of documentation describing a problem, the analysis, the conclusion, and the resulting recommendation. May have supervisory responsibilities;
* Prepares and presents briefings to sponsors on unique technical contributions planned, in progress, or projected in Alion's support to the contract. Conducts briefings with staff to communicate state-of-the-art developments in areas relevant to the contract
* Performs business development activities; interfaces directly with senior level customer management; Works with senior management, engineers, and customer on all technical and scientific matters relating to company obligations.
* Is a recognized authority across multiple areas of expertise, as evidenced by an appropriate bibliography of reports, scientific papers, designs, and/or patents; Represents the company in outside discussions and technical forums;
* Complies with all corporate policies and procedures, including quality assurance and security procedures in the performance of duties. Establishes and monitors standards for internal quality programs. Provides recommendations for improvements to existing quality systems or applicable company procedures and guidelines.
* Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in all areas related to military ground vehicle propulsion, to include engines, transmissions, and hybridization of propulsion including high voltage and power electronics. The ideal candidate will have experience leading the off-road mobility testing of military ground vehicles. The ideal candidate will be a military ground vehicle propulsion expert, recognized by TARDEC, the vehicle Program Manager's offices, other DoD offices, and DARPA.
Education and Experience
* Master¿s degree in mechanical or related discipline plus 12 or more years of relevant work experience. Doctorate degree preferred.
* Project/program engineering experience.
* In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 20 years of applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquel y applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Expert knowledge of engineering principles, methods, and techniques.
* Expert knowledge of the related tools, equipment, hardware, and software.
* Ability to manage multiple complex technical issues and coordinate diverse technical resources.
* Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
* Candidate must be able to obtain and hold a SECRET clearance.
* Diversity Statement
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information
U.S. Citizenship Required.
To apply for this job, contact: