Full Time Employee Contractor
In support of the NASA Scientific and Technical Information (STI) program, acts as the primary subject area expert providing technical support and on-going training to a team of information analysts, and plays a key role in the maintenance of structured terminology and lexical resources used for document indexing. Also creates descriptive metadata for scientific and technical information (STI) documents that comprise the NASA Technical Report Server (NTRS), and performs critical review and evaluation of document markings and associated availability-authorization forms to determine the appropriate audience for document dissemination. Contributes to the on-going enhancement of production processes and tools.Works under limited supervision and uses independent judgment.
• Provides descriptive cataloging records for scientific and technical documents
• Analyzes document content and provides subject-term indexing and classification based on the NASA Thesaurus and other authority files
• Identifies and researches candidate terminology for inclusion in the NASA Thesaurus, and defines modifications and enhancements to thesaurus hierarchical structure.
• Reviews and analyzes distribution authorization forms and corresponding document markings for dissemination requirements and distribution limitations
• Participates in metadata analysis tasks, and provides support to user Information Desk operations
• Recommends operational processing and systems improvements and enhancements
Other Skills Preferred:
• Experience in creating and maintaining taxonomies or structured vocabularies (e.g., thesauri, ontologies, or classification schemes)
• Experience in subject indexing of scientific and technical documents
• Knowledge of descriptive cataloging
• Experience in a NASA or other scientific and technical information environment
Knowledge of Boolean search methods and experience with database analysis
•Able to pass a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) investigation
To apply for this job, contact: