Full Time Employee
Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry. With best-in-class financial performance, customer satisfaction, digital presence and Associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth. Our various Operational Strategy groups play a key role in helping CarMax make the strategic decisions needed to deliver on both near-term execution and long-term innovation.
We are currently recruiting for multiple Manager roles within our Operational Strategy groups, which include sales, operations, merchandising, pricing, and human resources. The two primary responsibilities for the strategy groups are to maintain the analytical tools needed to drive your department’s near-term execution, as well as to facilitate the development and implementation of actionable strategic roadmaps. Each of these strategy groups are deeply embedded within their respective departments and play a key role in driving the business forward. In this role, the Manager of Operational Strategy works closely with top executives of their respective departments.
This position provides a strategic thinker, possessing strong analytical and management skills, the opportunity to play a key role in driving the strategy that will shape the future of a Fortune 500 retailer.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THIS ROLE?
Some of the primary responsibilities for the role include:
1. Support the leadership team for your respective department—Sales, Operations, Merchandising, Pricing, or Human Resources—by developing or maintaining a suite of analytical tools to monitor performance and drive continuous improvement.
2. Work closely with your department’s executive leadership to maintain a communications strategy to inform others of results from roadmap initiatives as well as overall business performance.
3. Partner with the leadership of your respective department to facilitate the strategic roadmap process. Example tactics include:
• Facilitating strategic offsites or brainstorming sessions with field and home office executives
• Supporting the scoping, opportunity sizing, and feasibility studies of new initiatives
4. Track progress against strategic roadmap goals and guide the process to evolve plans as appropriate.
5. Assist the implementation of roadmap initiatives by consulting on key decisions and facilitating cross-functional alignment. Previous examples include:
• Owning the process that optimizes which 8,000 cars to buy at auction each week
• Designing tests and interpreting results for alternative reconditioning processes
• Coordinating strategy and measuring impact of new behavior-based sales training
6. Support the appropriate Development Team to prioritize ongoing innovation projects.
7. Periodically conduct or facilitate ad hoc research to support special projects within the broader Operational Strategy group.
WHAT TYPE OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
To be successful for this role, we are looking for someone that can consistently deliver at a high level on the responsibilities listed above. A few of the competencies that will position you for success are:
• Track record of strategic thinking
– Ability to assimilate numerous qualitative and quantitative inputs in the face of ambiguity
– Ability to identify problems, generate solutions, evaluate alternatives, and make recommendations
• Proven leadership and management skills
– Ability to convert high-level business objectives into concrete action plans and analytical tasks
– Ability to execute a plan with high degree of independence
– Ability to deliver great results while simultaneously managing multiple projects
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
– Ability to motivate and influence across all levels of the organization
– Ability to summarize or present complex information into easy-to-understand pieces
• Demonstrated success in analytical decision making
– Ability to solve complex problems, produce results, and make recommendations
– Ability to flex between big picture strategic thinking and sharp attention to detail
• Passion for delivering results on large strategic initiatives
WHAT EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED TO HAVE?
• 4+ years of business experience in strategic analysis, financial analysis, consulting or engineering
• Undergraduate degree in a business, quantitative, or engineering discipline with an excellent academic record; graduate degree a plus but not required
• Experience with strategy formulation, articulation, and implementation
• Experience with advanced analytics, statistics, and modeling preferred
• Computer skills: Excel, PowerPoint; SQL experience preferred
To apply for this job, contact: