Full Time Employee
The Manager of Operational Strategy plays a critical role in driving CarMax’s strategy for both operational innovation and continuous improvement. The primary responsibility is facilitating the development of clear, data-driven, and actionable strategic roadmaps that position CarMax for long-term leadership in automotive retail. In doing this, the Manager of Operational Strategy works closely with top executives across both field-focused execution roles and headquarters-based change leadership. Areas of influence include sales, service, production, merchandising, pricing and/or human resources. To be successful this person will need to develop a deep understanding of CarMax’s competitive advantages, proprietary systems and processes, data analytics and culture.
This position provides a strategic thinker, possessing strong analytical and management skills, the opportunity to play a leadership role in driving the strategy that will shape the future of a Fortune 500 retailer.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific responsibilities for the role include:
1. Partner with the Directors of Operational Strategy across Sales, Service, Production Planning, Merchandising and Human Resources to facilitate the strategic roadmap process and to drive both innovation and continuous improvement agendas. Example tactics include:
• Facilitating strategic offsites with field and headquarters executives
• Leading future state scenario planning brainstorms with top executives
• Supporting the scoping, opportunity sizing, and feasibility studies of new initiatives
• Collaborating with finance to ensure strategic roadmaps will achieve all financial goals
2. Track progress against strategic roadmap goals and guide the process to evolve plans as appropriate.
3. Assist the implementation of roadmap initiatives by consulting on key decisions and facilitating cross-functional alignment. Previous examples include:
• Owning the process that optimizes which 8,000 cars to buy at auction each week
• Designing and evaluating field testing of alternative production flow management models
• Coordinating strategy for analyzing the effectiveness of new behavior-based sales training
4. Work closely with the appropriate VP of Field Execution and VP of Development/Change Leadership to maintain a communications strategy to inform all executives on results from roadmap initiatives as well as overall business performance.
5. Support the appropriate Development Team to prioritize ongoing innovation projects.
6. Periodically conduct or facilitate ad hoc research to support special projects within Operational Strategy or the Change Leadership Team.
7. Along with other CarMax Strategy teams, provide executives with ongoing insights on industry and competitive dynamics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Track record of strategic thinking and proven thought leadership
– Ability to convert high-level business objectives into concrete action plans and analytical tasks
– Ability to assimilate numerous qualitative and quantitative inputs in the face of ambiguity and drill down to a good decision
– Ability to identify problems, generate solutions, evaluate alternatives, and lead team to make recommendations
• Proven leadership and management skills
– Ability to develop and execute a plan with high degree of independence
– Ability to deliver great results while simultaneously managing several projects
– Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively, and manage your time to meet goals/objectives
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
– Ability to motivate and influence across all levels of the organization
– Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner through verbal and written methods
– Ability to summarize or present complex and/or technical information into easy-to-understand pieces
• Demonstrated success in analytical decision making
– Ability to apply business and technical knowledge to solve complex problems, produce results, and make recommendations
– Ability to lead problem solving sessions for larger groups with a wide range of stakeholders
– Analytical curiosity and ability to flex between big picture strategic thinking and sharp attention to detail
• Passion for delivering results on large strategic initiatives
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• 4+ years of business experience in strategic analysis, financial analysis, consulting or engineering
• Undergraduate degree in a business, quantitative, or engineering discipline with an excellent academic record; Graduate degree a plus but not required
• Experience with strategy formulation, articulation, and implementation
• Experience with advanced analytics and modeling preferred
• Computer skills: Excel, PowerPoint; SQL experience preferred
To apply for this job, contact: