Full Time Employee
CarMax is looking for experienced analytical modelers and data scientists who are looking to enhance their technical skills, extend an analytics-based competitive advantage and influence business strategy at a fast growing FORTUNE®: 500 company. With a high-caliber team focused on the company’s industry-leading analytics capabilities and a great work/life balance, our Strategy Group offers plenty of room for you to learn and grow.
Unlike most retailers who are selling a broadly available and often commoditized product, CarMax’s pricing must accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell – from the high-mileage family sedan in Omaha to the fully loaded red convertible in San Diego. Our pricing and inventory models must address the company’s expanding national footprint and be dynamic enough to respond to constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated. Today, these capabilities support $100 million in weekly auto auction spend and optimize retail prices and inventory allocation across 150+ stores.
Whether in a technical expert or supervisory role, a successful Manager candidate will:
• Analyze and/or supervise analysis performed by others on vast amounts of complex pricing-related data, applying statistical methods to identify data integrity issues and to develop/validate predictive models
• Collaborate with other vehicle pricing and statistical modeling experts to identify potential opportunities to improve model performance
• Research innovations and pricing best practices related to data sources and modelling methodologies
• Encourage, challenge and influence others within the Strategy Group and other departments in the development of our modeling capability strategic roadmap
• Benchmark model methodologies and performance by developing alternative models and designing, deploying and monitoring controlled experiments
• Manage projects involving the coding and development of new models, including developing project plans, setting and managing expectations, and delivering results through self and/or others
• Assess the methodologies and processes used to develop and manage models, identifying potential weaknesses and the associated materiality of the risk
• Leverage insights to influence Senior Management and drive business value
• Help recruit and enhance analytical talent across CarMax’s Strategy Group
What are some of the unique benefits of the job?
• Work/life balance. We work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours. Our jobs are a healthy part of a great life.
• Focus on professional development. In our Strategy Group, your development is as important as your work. Our leaders are heavily invested in helping managers hone their technical, communication, leadership, and other skills.
• Great, close knit team. The broader Strategy Group at CarMax consists of ~40 analysts with stellar work and academic backgrounds spanning from economics, math, and engineering to political science and creative writing, contributing to our collaborative and fun atmosphere.
• Great place to work. We’re proud to be one of FORTUNE®::’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” 12 years in a row. In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have a fun and casual environment with perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center where we hold our group’s annual Analyst Games competition.
• Successful growth company. CarMax has revolutionized the auto industry by making car buying easy. As the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, we have over 150 stores in 75+ markets, $14 billion in annual sales, and overwhelmingly positive feedback from our customers. But the biggest opportunities lie ahead: we hold only a 3% share of the late-model used car market, allowing room for exponential growth.
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
• 4+ years of experience in a broad range of data science and statistical modeling methodologies
• Passion for using analytics in problem solving
• Demonstrated ability to explain novel and standard modeling methods, both to fellow analysts and other colleagues
• Experience managing model development projects and supporting analytical models deployed within critical business processes
• Strong influencing skills, which are applied effectively at all levels of an organization and across multiple functions
• Record of building and maintaining strong working relationships
• Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline (math, statistics, operations research, economics, physics, engineering, etc.)
• Desire to develop into a strong technical leader and/or people manager
• Experience using SQL and Python to analyze big data sets a plus
• Graduate degree in statistics, data science or related field a plus
To apply for this job, contact: