Full Time Employee
O&M IT VMWare Consultant II (Job Number:421157)
The incumbent has a varying level of responsibility for support information technology- based systems primarily in the areas of applications software, multimedia, database resources, and network support, but may include a moderate degree of hardware consultation and support. Positions in this classification will have responsibility for supporting administrative departments, needs, using available information technologies and resources. The Information Technology Consultant typically has a broad knowledge of multiple software and instructional/media technology applications, database systems and sources, and equipment types, but is not usually involved in design and systems analysis on an ongoing basis, which would require an in-depth knowledge of engineering or programming techniques. Provides consultative support to FEMA customers to enhance the use and access of technology and information systems.
Assists in the installation, implementation, and upgrades of internal systems. May maintain a tracking system for usage evaluation. Maintains an inventory of all equipment, hardware, software and supplies. Troubleshoots, maintains, and monitors, external and internal hard drives, printers, plotters and scanners. Duties may include setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, monitoring and tuning system performance, installing system wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches, allocating mass storage space and allocating virtual machines. Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products. understood that this is not intended to be a detailed nor comprehensive description of any individual employee's job content. Managers set the specific duties and responsibilities for each employee). (It should be understood that this is not intended to be a detailed nor comprehensive description of any individual employee's job content. Managers set the specific duties and responsibilities for each employee). Considerable knowledge of the job. Complete acquaintance with and understanding of the general and detailed aspects of the job and their practical applications to problems and situations ordinarily encountered. Supervision Received: General supervision and instructions given for routine work, and detailed instructions given for new activities or special assignments. IMPACT: Errors may be detected and corrected but may cause moderate loss of time or expense to correct. LIASON: Contacts are typically with individuals within own department and occasionally with contacts outside own organization. Contacts involved obtaining or providing information or data requiring some explanation or interpretation.
- The core functions of the Information Technology Consultant are: Experience with “virtualization” of software platforms to dissolve the one to one relationship between Operating Systems (OS) and hardware.
- Knowledge of virtualization whether provided by VMWare, Microsoft, Red Hat or others, provides a hardware abstraction layer that enables an administrator full control over their hardware.
- Ability to administer platforms dynamically distributed among multiple concurrently running Virtual Machines (VM).
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support
- Knowledge of information technology systems and/or applications, including FEMA critical systems and multimedia environments, access procedures, networks and/or databases
- Ability to integrate multiple applications and/or systems
- Proficiency using standard software packages
- Ability to analyze data requirements and research data availability and access methods
- Knowledge of data administration principles and techniques
- Knowledge of network administration
- Ability to coordinate and implement data exchanges and conversions
- Knowledge of ITIL process and procedures
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School and two (2) years or more related experience.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC provides systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, SAIC has approximately 15,000 employees and annual revenues of about $4.3 billion.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Aug 17, 2016, 8:28:45 AM
Primary Location: United States-VA-MCLEAN
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
To apply for this job, contact: