Rockwell Collins (www.rockwellcollins.com)
Full Time Employee
Marina del Rey
**Qualifications:** The ideal candidate should possess:
- Thirteen (13) or more years of experience in Software Engineering (preferably in C, C++, and Java).
- Seven (7) or more years of engineering management experience in a Project/Program environment.
- Ability to lead and be responsible for the technical evaluation of employees using formal (ARINC’s Performance Appraisal System) and informal (daily interaction and counseling) methods.
- Ability to manage technical capabilities, including resources in a specific area, processes and tools of the overall Engineering Department.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong application software development knowledge and management skills to help build and development project teams.
- Experience with SCADA Control Systems.
- Prior experience working in the rail/transit industry.
Education and/or Certification Required:
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field.
**Job #:** 16794BR
**Country:** United States
**FT/PT:** Full Time
**Job Description:** At Rockwell Collins IMS (formerly ARINC), it’s our people who make the difference and are the backbone of our technologies. Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Rockwell Collins IMS as the cornerstone of their careers, helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. Join Rockwell Collins IMS and help shape our future while creating yours.
The Rockwell Collins Rail Product Engineering department is looking for a Software Engineering Manager in Marina del Rey, California. As the Software Engineering Manager you will be managing a team of software engineers for transportation projects focusing on the control systems in for the Rail/Transit industry.
Under direction of the Director of Rail Product Engineering, the Software Engineering Manager provides leadership and daily supervision to a software engineering department – responsible for software project delivery, software enhancements/maintenance for existing customers, and integration of future software technology. You will be responsible for resource assignments in a matrix organization, adherence to all internal SW development processes, ISO standards, CMMI, and industry best practices for configuration control, change management and product testing. You will manage a department of engineers responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining new application product lines that will support the strategic objectives of the Division and Corporation.
You will be responsible for providing direction on SW Engineering activities in accordance with organizational goals. Additionally, you will be responsible for motivating team members, facilitating meetings, cultivating and reinforcing appropriate group values, norms, and behaviors, identifying, analyzing and correcting problems by developing plans, tasks and solutions, and ensuring proper use of assets.
You will be expected to provide leadership and direction in the continuous improvement of the Systems Software Engineering Process.
General management duties Include, but are not limited to:
• Assignment of personnel to projects.
• Assist employees with career development.
• Organize and lead technical working groups in specific areas.
• Interface and work with the PMO, various Project Coordinators, other Functional Managers, and individual Project Managers to assess the engineering staffing needs both current and future.
• Participate in departmental strategic and budgetary planning processes; prepare and administer work unit operating budget; provide recommendations on policies and goals desired; and implement new/revised programs according to established guidelines.
• Prepare job descriptions, identify staffing needs, provide general direction, assign specific tasks and responsibilities, evaluate and mentor staff.
• Identify needs and allocate the appropriate resources to meet timely completion of specific project tasks.
• Provide functional management of many software engineers, including those working at remote locations
• Manage a complex capital project for software development
You will also be responsible for the guidance and oversight of technical teams working on state-of-the-art command and control applications. And at times interface with the Customer and must be able to effectively communicate throughout the organization in a geographically dispersed business unit.
We believe having a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity. At Rockwell Collins IMS, we encourage career development and seek ways to provide you with opportunities for growth and variety in your work. And that’s just for starters. Day one kicks off with a competitive benefit package of plans that include medical, dental, and vision, and more. In addition, we have a generous 401(k) plan that matches dollar for dollar up to 6%, a Roth 401(k) option, and educational assistance. Interested yet? If so, apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
**Amount of Travel Required:** 0%-25%
**EOE Statement:** Rockwell Collins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
To apply for this job, contact: