Full Time Employee
Sr. NOC Operations Engineer/Mission SME (Job Number:422289)
SAIC is seeking a Sr. NOC Operations Engineer/Mission SME to support their NASA‘s Integrated Communications Services (NICS) client in Greenbelt, MD.
The position is located in NASA’s Operations Management Center (NOMC), a 24X7 network operation center and may be required to work weekends and holidays. Candidate will work a straight day’s shift but will need to be available to work standard and non-standard shifts both for assigned launches, unique Mission activities, and to provide coverage during operator absences.
- Support the network operations by providing Tier 3 support for troubleshooting Incidents/Problems as part of the escalation of day-to-day activities in support of NASA missions.
- Utilize a variety of network management and diagnostic tools for monitoring, troubleshooting communications-related and node/application related problems.
- Monitoring and some maintenance assistance of Juniper and Cisco Routers & Switches along with Ciena Hardware.
- Operate NASA unique hardware items.
- Working directly with other NASA centers and customers to help resolve real-time network and dataflow problems which are unique to NASA.
- Will be involved in a number of activities including the testing and implementation of new network services.
- Support Network Engineering with the integration of new systems into the Mission Network.
- Involved in the integration of new Enterprise-wide tools into the Mission Network.
- Develop and update Mission Operations Documentation, both written and graphical.
- Provide training of Console Operators in accordance with existing certification guides.
Required Experience and Education:
- BS degree in a related field & 10 years’ experience or 14 years’ experience with GED/HS Degree.
- US Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance.
- Experience in core routing and switching.
- Must be able to grasp a wide range of unique skills, able to think and respond quickly to real-time dataflow problems.
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP technology including IP addressing, subnet masking.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting network issues in both a LAN and large WAN environment which includes firewalls and network taps.
- Ability to use standard networking troubleshooting tools, eg. BERTS, iPerf, Wireshark.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of all tools in the Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Effective communicator and be able to coordinate network and customer related problems with other technical sections. Outgoing with a pleasant personality and a positive can-do attitude.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and be available to work after hours and weekends (as required).
- Knowledge of serial interfaces including RS232, V.35 and RS 449 preferred; Knowledgeable in WAN protocols such as MPLS, SONET
- Experience with TCP/IP and IP addressing schemes; network monitoring tools (including HP NNMi, Radview, and MRTG) and trouble ticket processes (Remedy is a plus)
- Hands-on experience with industry products (Cisco, Juniper, and Ciena are highly desired)
- Experience in supporting WAN & LAN connectivity, telecommunications (VoIP) or internet technology
- Knowledgeable of transmission principals including T1, T3, DS-3 &OC-3/48
- Experience with network analysis tools (Matt’s Trace Route (MTR) and Multi Routers Traffic Grapher (MRTG) are a plus)
- Experience in performing traceroutes, executing ping test, performing/evaluating data captures and a strong working knowledge in UNIX and Microsoft
- Strong knowledge and hands on experience with data analyzers, network probes and other network diagnostic and performance measurement devices; Industry standard certifications (CCNA, CCNP or JNCIA are a strong plus)
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC provides systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, SAIC has approximately 15,000 employees and annual revenues of about $4.3 billion.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Oct 11, 2016, 10:36:16 AM
Primary Location: United States-MD-GREENBELT
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
To apply for this job, contact: