Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is seeking technical leaders that are passionate about the design and application of configurable logic technologies to the development of world-class defense solutions. RMS is seeking an Engineering Fellow (EF) to help expand the capabilities, quality, and proficiency of Configurable Logic (CL) design within RMS and the company as a whole. This position requires an established depth of expertise in configurable logic design and verification, with a complimentary breadth of experience in adjacent disciplines: electronics design, software design, systems engineering, and signal processing.
The candidate shall have demonstrated leadership and visionary thinking in the design and development of advanced electronic systems based on configurable logic technologies. The EF candidate shall demonstrate a high degree of creativity, and ingenuity, in the design of ASICs, FPGAs, and complex heterogeneous processing systems, as well as in the application of advanced verification techniques with an emphasis on the Universal Verification Methodology (UVM), and the creation of new processes to improve the quality of all designs and the proficiency with which they are created. The candidate shall be able to perform in multi-disciplined environments to solve system level problems. The candidate shall similarly be able to drive to identify root cause and formulate solutions to complex failure investigations.
The Engineering Fellow will be expected to support multiple programs in the proposal, architecture and design phases to insure the optimal application of configurable logic technologies, coordinating efforts across design disciplines, and organizational boundaries. This coordination will include the oversight of those designs through formal and informal reviews, the application of model-based engineering, and process improvements. The Engineering Fellow will be a focal point for CL design expertise, often relied upon by programs to provide specific complex solutions and analysis, as well as having a broad responsibility to help define technology road maps, propose IRAD projects and set functional priorities to realize those road maps.
In addition to advancing the state of the art in CL design and processes, the Engineering Fellow is expected to distribute their expertise through formal and informal mentoring, reviews, educational presentations, and wiki articles.
- A demonstrated extensive depth of knowledge in configurable logic technologies, which includes: Vendor tools and technology from Xilinx, Altera, & Microsemi, Software/Hardware languages (C, C++, VHDL, UVM & System Verilog, Python), comprehensive knowledge of CL design flow, including CM, Simulation, Synthesis, P&R, script languages, verification, and integration.
- A demonstrated depth of knowledge in the implementation of modern verification environments that include the use of constrained-random stimulus, functional coverage, code coverage, coverage collectors, scoreboards, monitors, creation of models to use through requirements to verification, and verification plans which determine the appropriate level of verification applications
- Experience with emulation and prototyping techniques
- Knowledge of industry standard interfaces and protocols such as AXI, PCIe, Ethernet, etc.
- A demonstrated breadth of knowledge in adjacent disciplines for example: advanced design verification, electronics design, software design, systems engineering, and signal processing
- A demonstrated ability for architecting, modeling, designing, implementing, and testing complex, heterogeneous processing systems.
- Experience developing new and novel concepts leading to the capture and execution of technology maturation and development programs, transitioning into real products and deployed systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including experience communicating and presenting to all levels of the organization including senior level executives and external customers.
- The ability to train and mentor others through various means including informal mentoring, reviews, presentations, publications and training.
- Demonstrated leadership experience as a project lead, team lead, technical lead or similar function with direct reports involving creating plans, schedules and cost estimates for design and verification efforts
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience with all aspects of embedded system design and development processes
- Have a record of Patents, Publications, and/or Technical Presentations to industry
- Experience in space and radiation hardened design constraints, such as triple redundancy design, circumvent and recover, etc.
- Background in RF, EO, including knowledge of the common algorithms applied to those domains.
- Active Secret Clearance/SCI
- Knowledge of ASIC design flow and process
- Comprehensive knowledge of CL design tools, including CM, Simulation, Synthesis, P&R, script languages, etc.
This position requires the successful issuance, transfer or maintenance of any clearances and/or accesses necessary for the position. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Additional detail regarding security clearance factors can be obtained by accessing the DISCO website at
- Bachelor of Science in Computer or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.