Intermediate UNIX System Administrator (Job Number:437372)
- Serves as a Intermediate UNIX System Administrator for DISA Operations, DECC-Montgomery located at Maxwell Air Force Base ? Gunter Annex, Montgomery Alabama during Mid-shift, responsible for managing the functionality and efficiency of multiple UNIX based Operating Systems.
- This individual performs duties that include setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, validating and implementing critical system patches, and allocating mass storage space.
- Interacts with users and evaluates vendor products.
- Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery.
- Analyzes system faults and troubleshoots and runs diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect and resolve problems.
- Evaluates and installs developed software during various phases of testing.
- Reviews and prepares documentation for systems, tests and installation of UNIX based software.
- Investigates and selects methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Responsible for preventive maintenance on UNIX operating systems as well as repair to system/environmental problems.
- May interface with vendors for trouble calls and provides escalation support for service desk personnel and may be called upon to support service desk activities during surges and other contingency situations.
- Provide technical expertise in UNIX system administrative subjects, concepts and tool sets supporting DECC Montgomery operations, specific tasks include but are not limited to the following:
a. Setting up and maintaining multiple different types/versions of UNIX operating systems;
b. Troubleshoot and actively work incident management responses related to UNIX operating systems and related tool sets;
c. Provide integration support, when requested, to integrate systems and tool sets into overall processes, procedures and systems;
d. Support cybersecurity and IA policy efforts to maintain the cybersecurity posture of UNIX systems, related hardware and support tools;
e. Exercise independent judgement in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria associated with obtaining results under this contract; and
f. Interacts with both customer and contract leadership relating complex technical issues/solutions in such a matter as to gain understanding and acceptance from others.
- Improve the customer?s operating environment by providing expert support while also maintaining the cybersecurity/IA posture of systems/hardware managed/administered for both DECC Montgomery and DISA Mission Partners? assets.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Minimum active Secret Clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance/Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) indoctrinated
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School and three (3) years or more related experience.
- Demonstrates technical expertise and intermediate-level knowledge in UNIX based operating systems to include performing a variety of assignments associated with installation, configuring, managing, monitoring and controlling UNIX operating and supporting system software; analyzing system faults, troubleshooting incidents, and conducting series of diagnostic tests on both operating systems and hardware to detect and resolve problems effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrated experience in reviewing and preparing technical documentation, and installing software, researching and recommending methods and techniques to improve operations, conducting preventive maintenance, and managing/administering multiple technical tasks with varying schedules
- DoD 8570: Information Assurance Technical Level II (IAT-II)
- Certification: CompTIA Security+ preferred - Computing Environment (CE)
- Certification: UNIX/LINUX Operation Environment certification preferred
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) version 3 Foundation certification
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAICs approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Jun 13, 2018, 5:55:35 PM
Primary Location: United States-AL-MONTGOMERY
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job