SAIC is seeking a Satellite Operations Engineer to join our Chantilly, VA based team.
Space Program that provides technical, programmatic, and business support for the customer. Systems Engineering (SE) provides technical and programmatic support to on-orbit validation, normal operations and anomaly resolution activities including scheduling, planning, coordinating and executing launch rehearsals and launch events, on-orbit tests and calibrations support and lessons learned implementation for the program office.
SE provides expert review of spacecraft telemetry, assesses subsystem performance, collects data to assess off-nominal signatures and makes recommendations to the customer on configuration changes to remedy anomalous conditions.
A Space Program is seeking a Satellite Operations Engineer to provide technical support for operational satellite payloads and supporting subsystems. Candidate should be familiar with satellite bus hardware, command and control and telemetry architectures, health & safety management, and attitude control systems. The candidate will be an integral participant on a contractor/government team monitoring the status of multiple satellites. This position provides an on-site presence for the government team to provide first-hand knowledge of constellation health and safety status.
Key Duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Branch Office focal point for monitoring and witnessing anomaly resolution activities.
- Support the customer in monitoring flight operations of delivered satellite systems and maintaining daily status and trending of on-orbit subsystems.
- Liaise daily and as necessary with program office management.
- Provide expert advice concerning spacecraft operations and anomaly resolution.
- Understand spacecraft capabilities, limitations, and operating modes.
- Review subsystem, unit and as-built specifications, Redundancy Manuals, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Review drawings, documents, and procedures in support of spacecraft operations.
- Track future development and ongoing activities at the factory.
- Provide expert advice/analysis on operations for new satellites and payloads.
- Provide support to launch and satellite on-orbit tests as required.
- Attend contractor tollgate reviews, pre-tests, pre-ship, and other meetings as required.
- Support one or more customer Systems Engineers with daily products, to include feedback on performance of the developer, operational status of the payloads, and performance of satellite bus subsystems (electrical, thermal, attitude control, and computers).
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience. (Required)
- Familiarity with DoD acquisition and program management processes
- Operational experience on two or more satellite platforms
- Knowledge of RF and/or digital satellite subsystems or satellite operation
- Experience working in a program office or satellite operations facility
- Familiarity with remote site processes
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building and problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to work in a government/contractor team environment.
- Ability to provide real-time status, recommendations, and situational awareness to management.
- Independent self-starter with recognition of tasks to be done, and ability to accomplish them without daily oversight.
- Operations certification
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.