Systems Engineer (Job Number:439002)
SAIC is seeking a Systems Engineer to join the Identity and Data Sciences Laboratory (IDSL) for a current research program supported by the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate (DHS S&T). The IDSL works with state of the art biometric technologies, including facial recognition, applying them to new use cases for traveler screening and inspection. The IDSL staffs the Maryland Test Facility (MdTF; http://mdtf.org) and carries out large scale technology testing on behalf of DHS S&T. The candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team composed of software engineers, data scientists, behavioral scientists and Systems Engineers. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a hands-on environment with electro-mechanical devices in a research setting. This position is based in Upper Marlboro, MD. Up to 25% travel is expected within the continental US.
- Research technologies, design, and test prototype systems to solve customer challenges.
- Fabricate and assemble prototype system components using on-premises 3D printers and implements, including basic hand tools.
- Integrate and test prototype systems within laboratory and field environments and validate resulting systems in collaboration with subject matter experts.
- Instrument laboratory and field-test environments including developing and executing wiring plans to meet hardware and software communication and power requirements.
- Monitor laboratory and field infrastructure and ensure reliable operation.
- Interface with data scientists, test engineers, software developers and subject matter experts, to elicit and document system requirements.
- Generate technical documents, system component lists, drawings, and operating procedures.
- Develop and hardware and software recommendations for system upgrades and operational enhancements and assist with procurement.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Required BS and 2+ years of hands-on experience or MS in the following areas:
- Rapid system prototyping (e.g. mechanical component or system design).
- CAD modeling (SolidWorks or similar) and 3D printing software (Simplify3D or similar).
- Proficiency with basic hand tools for performing hardware design and construction.
- Proficiency with electronic test equipment for test signal measurement and diagnostics.
- Basic computer setup, configuration, and maintenance in Windows / Linux environment.
- Enjoys working in a multi-disciplined team environment.
- Thinks critically and creatively to solve technical challenges.
- Clearly explains and documents technical findings and decisions.
- Understands what questions to ask, and when to ask them.
- Is willing to iterate to adapt system requirements to changing needs.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working in a research environment.
- Familiarity with electro-mechanical systems including stepper motors, solenoids, and actuators.
- Biometric systems hardware, software, and data collection.
- Experience with a scripting language (e.g. PowerShell, Python, Java or similar).
- Proficiency with Windows operating systems, applications, and LAN/WAN configurations.
- Developing and executing power and network wiring plans.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC's approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Aug 10, 2018, 2:33:47 PM
Primary Location: United States-MD-UPPER MARLBORO
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 25% of the time
Shift: Day Job