CarMax is a unique and niche retailer enabled by technology. CarMax revolutionized the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity car buying experience customers want and deserve. As the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, we currently operate 190+ stores in 41 states nationwide. Our IT Associates leverage cutting edge mobile, cloud and emerging platform technologies in an Agile environment to further our disruption of the used car buying market.
What makes the CarMax IT Academy program stand-out?
Technology Associates will attend the CarMax IT Academy; an 8-week program designed to jumpstart your CarMax career. Through this program, you will:
• Experience the CarMax culture and learn why we are one of FORTUNE magazine’s ‘100 Best Companies to Work’ each year since 2005 and FORTUNE magazine’s ‘100 Best Companies for Millennials’ for 2017 and 2018
• Learn about CarMax and the technologies and tools used to support our business
• Visit CarMax stores to observe different business processes and learn how IT systems help “Drive What’s Possible”
• Build your professional network by meeting and connecting with IT leadership, as well as other associates across the enterprise
• Get exposure and hands-on experience with various languages, technologies, platforms and tools
• Gain a solid understanding of CarMax IT and how your contributions will have a direct and significant impact on the organization’s ongoing success
What roles are we hiring for?
• Developer – Experience with various programming languages; team-player, self-starter with a passion for learning
• Infrastructure Automation Engineer – Experience with SQL in structured or non-structured databases, scripting, dashboard generation, application development required; understanding of, or exposure to, reliability and performance engineering a plus
Where will I work?
CarMax has two locations in Richmond Virginia, one of the top 10 “next tech towns”.
• CarMax Shockoe – located in the epicenter of Richmond Virginia’s Downtown Technology District. Our passionate Digital IT and Marketing teams continue to innovate solutions to the ever-changing retail consumer landscape.
• Home Office in West Creek – this modern building is the heart of our organization. Within our corporate treehouse lies the bustling nerve center of CarMax complete with walking trails, an onsite gym and a full basketball court. It is here that one experiences the “Associate first” culture that Drives What’s Possible!
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
• Passion for learning and developing both soft and technical skills
• Ability and desire to collaborate to solve original, wide-ranging, and open-ended business and technical problems
• 0-2 years of work experience
• A history of achievement and aptitude demonstrated by a 3.0 GPA
• A 4-year degree (e.g. Computer Science or Business Information Technology)
• Must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future