full-time employee contract
Mission Command (MC) Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Overview: The Mission Command (MC) Subject Matter Expert (SME) is required to conduct extensive engineering analysis, planning, implementation, project management, report writing and senior leader briefings.
The SME should possess a broad range of knowledge, skills and abilities within engineering, planning and project management aspects of the Mission Command / Information Technology (MC/IT) infrastructure (e.g. operating systems, applications, cyber security, networking, telecommunications, electronics, etc.) and within the military aspects of MC/IT applications/services support (e.g. Army Mission Command Systems (AMCS), Information Assurance, encryption devices, tactical radios/systems, VoIP/VoSIP, .milCloud, etc.). The engineer must also possess strong writing and briefing skills.
- Provide in-depth, senior-level systems engineering support on a broad range technical domains including Mission Command, office automation, cryptology, security, networking, electronics, telecommunications, mechanical and electrical.
- Collect and evaluate operational mission and exercise requirements and translate them into viable technical solutions/plans.
- Provide engineering input to the technical aspects of MCSD’s formal taskers, Operational Needs Statement (ONS) reviews, General Service (GENSER) message review and G3/CG Significant Activity (SIGACT) reports.
- Develop technically focused Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTP), diagrams and other in-depth engineering documentation and briefings.
- Attend technical working groups/conferences and participate on integrated project teams (IPT).
- Develop liaison with other units/organizations that enhance MCSD’s technical capabilities.
- Perform additional common cross-cutting engineering and project management functions listed below.
- Perform complex multi-disciplined analysis and prepare detailed reports/presentations on USAREUR Mission Command system projects and programs.
- Assess USAREUR’s Mission Command requirements and render evaluations and solutions based on merit, cost and priority.
- Conduct impact analysis on the introduction, deletion, modernization or modification to the architectures of theater Mission Command Systems, Enablers, Sensors and Platforms including Joint, NATO, Coalition and Army.
- Provide experience and advice in the design and use of Mission Command related SIPRNET, NIPRNET, Coalition (e.g. MPE, USBICES, SEAGULL) and exercise (e.g. JTEN, ACME) networks.
- Advise the Government on the system level integration of communication and functional application interfaces between Mission Command systems.
- Serves as a technical and senior level advisor between USAREUR and various DoD Program Management Offices, the Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM), U.S. European Command (EUCOM), Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), U.S. Air Force, Europe (USAFE) and NATO/coalition Centers of Excellence (COE).
- Maintain awareness of technologies and capabilities being pursued within the DoD for the command and control of United States military forces across the spectrum of conflict in order to make operational level recommendations to the USAREUR G3 on their application to theater needs.
- Investigate and analyze user requirements for MC capabilities and validate these against approved plans and guidance.
- Evaluate specifications and drawings and participate in design reviews and audits of projects.
- Review technical literature, Government regulations, patents and current industry “best practices” relevant to assigned projects with an eye toward compliance with design, regulatory and safety standards/requirements.
- Prepare professional, thorough and accurate technical documents encompassing all phases of a project or system lifecycle. These documents may include concepts of operation, position papers, briefings, operating manuals, troubleshooting guides, etc., for internal and external USAREUR consumption.
- Participate in testing and evaluation of Government or vendor systems, products and services.
Project Management Functions:
- Develop project plans and manage a team’s performance on project tasks.
- Secure acceptance and approval of deliverables from the Project Sponsor and Stakeholders.
- Oversee project communications including status reporting, risk management and issue escalation.
- Ensure projects are delivered within budget, schedule and scope.
- Specific experience writing technical documents and briefing senior military commanders.
- Ten years’ experience supporting military Mission Command or C4I functions as an active duty or reserve officer, government service civilian or DOD contractor.
- Two years’ experience in development, fielding, program management or staff responsibility for Army/Joint Mission Command systems.
- Five years’ experience working in a U.S. Army level Headquarters.
1) ITIL Foundation, 2) Security+ce, 3) Additionally, one or more of the following certifications are required: MCSA, MCSE, MCSA, PMP, CISSP, CAPM
Security Clearance: Must be a U.S. Citizen and possess a SECRET or TOP SECRET or TS/SCI security clearance. A current adjudicated SSBI investigation is required.
Work Week: 40 hour work week
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
HR POC: Please apply on-line and directly contact Mark Aschenbach, email@example.com, (703) 488-2073 for consideration.