Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems (IDS), specializes in air and missile defense, large land- and sea-based radars and systems for managing command, control, communications, computers, cyber, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. It also produces sonars, torpedoes and electronic systems for ships. IDS is headquartered in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business. Visit us at and follow us on Twitter .
Your Mission: Interested in making the world a safer place?
Raytheon IDS Manufacturing Engineering, located in Andover, Massachusetts, is seeking highly motivated and dynamic Engineering Interns for a Summer 2019 Internship. Combine your Global Mindset, technical skills and knowledge to make the world a safer place. The department has over 300 employees, and provides Engineering support to manufacturing activities in Andover, MA; Portsmouth, RI; and McKinney, TX.
IDS Manufacturing Engineering (MfgE) provides premier engineering and manufacturing support expertise to enable on-time, lowest cost hardware delivery with performance and reliability that exceed customer expectations. MfgE executes across all phases of a program including proposal capture, process development, transition to production, and production support.
Manufacturing Engineering's engagement with Raytheon products is not just limited to Raytheon manufacturing sites. We support our large supplier network and international builds with deployment of engineers.
Your experience as a Raytheon Manufacturing Engineer will position you well for organizational advancement along both technical and managerial career paths.
Apply your Manufacturing Engineering expertise to help in protecting our Nation and our Warfighters. Be a part of the future of Raytheon Manufacturing.
Manufacturing Engineers design, control, and improve the manufacturing process through a collaborative effort with the value stream team. You would apply your skills to reduce cycle time and customer lead time, improve productivity, and reduce material cost.
As an Engineering Intern, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Lead a technical development project that aligns with Raytheon’s future growth plans in the Polish market
- Learn and have exposure to Raytheon’s development processes with the opportunity to identify process improvements
- Establish collaborative working relationships with program partners
- Attend Raytheon Six Sigma training. Raytheon Six Sigma strategies seek to improve the output of a process or system by identifying and removing the root causes of defects and then implementing improvements to minimize variability in manufacturing processes.
- Initiate and lead a Six Sigma project on a process improvement initiative
- Potential project topics include: communication; RFID (Radio-frequency identification) labelling; chemical bar coding; ergonomic assessments
- Outbrief leadership and implement the process improvements
- Perform an assessment on US specifications and standards against international standards. For example: ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) standards (US) vs. ISO (International Organization for Standardization) (International)
- Develop a process library (from-to) to establish a “playbook” for international co-production
- Shadow more experience engineers where appropriate to gain exposure to planning, requirements and manufacturing.
The successful candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program with an emphasis in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace, Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Physics or related technical field.
- Completed, at minimum, 60 hours of college credit towards their degree as of the summer 2018.
- Proficient in Polish and English (both written and oral); must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of management via email, telephone, and in person.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office toolset (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- English language proficiency of minimum C1-Advanced level
- Strong organization skills with ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Self-motivated and results oriented
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated hands-on mechanical aptitude with the ability to work across disciplines
Engineering solves some of the most difficult technology challenges in our industry. Through collaboration and partnership, we are focused on higher performance solutions at lower cost and provide a robust technology pipeline to continuously add value to our customers. Individually and collectively, Engineering is committed to expanding our ability to make a difference to each other, our business and the world.
Raytheon employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, 401(k) Savings Plan, Paid Holidays and Paid Vacation/Leave. We also offer a 9/80 flexible work arrangement, and a variety of training and growth and development opportunities. We offer an onsite cafeteria, free parking, and assistance with housing and transportation.
Employment opportunities for positions may require use of information which is subject to the export control regulations of the United States. Hiring decisions for such positions are required by law to be made in compliance with these regulations. Applicants for employment opportunities in other countries must be able to meet the comparable export control requirements of that country and of the United States.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.