Mid Level VMWare System Administrator (Job Number:441657)
SAIC has an opening for a VMware Administrator located in Vienna, VA.
This person is responsible for maintaining the operational status of VMware systems and will work closely with other members of the IT Operations department on the program.
The duties of this position are to provide broad spectrum tasks associated with both VMware infrastructure components and Windows server in order to support complex enterprise solutions. The candidate will be required to work both independently and collaboratively to address incidents, problems, provide access management, and contribute to infrastructure enhancement projects.
The candidate, in conjunction with team goals, will operate the VMware infrastructure to include taskings such as the configuration of VMware SRM, DRS, HA, Update Manager, vCenter, and other VMware technologies as appropriate.
The VMwware Administrator will also be responsible for directly working with and maintaining the underlying Cisco UCS hardware and the Fiber Interconnect devices.
Additional responsibilities include the administration of Windows-based platforms and services, including Active Directory, DNS, Exchange, and other standard services on a regular basis.
As with any operational role, monitoring alerts, managing the ticket queue, and keeping documentation up to date are a regular part of daily responsibilities.
Candidate is required to have strong analysis and decision-making skills with the ability to participate in briefings, participate in technical cross-functional meetings, strong commitment to process, and understanding of change and configuration management principles.
Candidate must be willing to provide 24/7 coverage (on-call rotation) and participate in after-hours updates and patching on a rotational basis.
- Operation and maintenance of the enterprise VMware environment
- Mangement and Oversight of VMware’s underlying hardware components including updates and patching
- Operation and maintenance of Windows server systems running Windows MS Server
- Operation of Windows Active Directory infrastructures, DNS and user administration
- Provide tier II support for the IT Service Desk
- Participate in after-hours weekly shifts that respond to business emergency requests (on-call rotation)
- Participate in after-hours monthly patching rotation
- Installations of new software and system upgrades including evaluation and installation of patches
- Actively monitor systems and resolve issues
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to perform project tasks in support of large projects
- Bachelor's Degree and 6+ years of relevant experience. Additional work experience is acceptable in lieu of a Degree.
- Practical experience managing enterprise VMware environments, including DRS, HA, SRM, and vCenter
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 2012 R2, and Windows 2016
- Good knowledge of Active Directory, GPOs, DNS and other Windows core services.
- Ability to learn new products and technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability of end-to-end problem management and ownership
- Ability to create and manage work instructions, system and project documentation.
- Desired Experience/Skills/Attributes:
- Understanding of MS Exchange, BES and mobile devices.
- Scripting knowledge to automate tasks and processes, PowerShell.
- Understanding of system security concepts and mitigation strategies (POAMs, vulnerabilities)
- Conceptual knowledge of SAN and or NAS systems.
- Ability to manage endpoints with enterprise tools such as BigFix
- Experience with backup solutions, particularly Tivoli Storage Manager and Veeam.
- Clearance Requirement:
- Must be a US Citizen and able to obtain a Public Trust Clearance prior to starting work.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC's approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Nov 1, 2018, 7:02:55 PM
Primary Location: United States-VA-VIENNA
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time
Shift: Day Job