Research Technician (Job Number:441516)
JOB DESCRIPTION: Serve as Library Supervisor Librarian for in support of the Asian Studies Detachment Library. Maintain library according to Army Regulations 25- 97 "The Army Library Program and 735-17 "Accounting for Library Materials." Manages/sSupervises clerical library staff conducting the handling of analog collection materials to be scanned/digitized into electronic media organization and management of physical and digital library holdings. Evaluates catalog and digital storage systems on a consistent basis and makes recommendations for improvements as needed. Develops and maintains digital content inventory tracking systems. Quickly adapts to changes in project requirements as needed. Implements digital project proposals and/or other project-related technical requirements documents for archive and research projects as appropriate with sufficient independence. Produces or coordinates production of derivative files from surrogate archival format files produced, as appropriate. Creates oral and written presentations to various stakeholders and other internal audiences as needed that are clear, tactful and achieve desired results. Stays abreast of trends in the field of digital archival management and digital asset management standards and systems. Develops and oversees digital content transfer systems in accord with Army-wide practices. Ensures AFC/VHP data and metadata are is compatible with relevant unclassified US Government NIPR and classified US Government SIPR networks for eventual upload into HARMONY enterprise databases. Maintains consistent communication with relevant library organizations (e.g. National Intelligence University Library) and divisions to ensure smooth transfer of digital holdings to storage in other locations. Oversees cataloging process in Catalogs the various now- digitized materials into an automated cataloging environment where the bibliographic characteristics of the material are relatively easy to determine and cataloging decisions are made within established standards. Searches entries in automated and manual catalogs. Assigns headings to catalog entries. Selects and assigns classification numbers. Establishes personal and corporate names and uniform titles for inclusion in the name authority file. Establishes and recommends subject headings for inclusion in the subject authority file and classification schedule. Creates and revises bibliographic records, authority records, and classification schedules. Performs content designation of bibliographic and authority records. Develops resolutions to problems and inconsistencies in the cataloging process. Obtains, analyzes, and organizes information using standard reference tools and established techniques and practices. Analyzes and organizes standard subject data to determine its relationship to the existing collections, for proper main entry, and the need for added entries. Analyzes material to determine subject content. Applies standard rules, guidelines, and reference tools and established techniques and practices. Participates in the creation of Standard Operating Procedures for formulating plans for changes and improvements to cataloging-related issues. Coordinates correct bibliographic identification, and correct coding in the information system.
REUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Library and Information Science Experience with Integrated Library Systems (ILS)
- Knowledge of data-base collection development methods and principles using modern automation systems and skill in applying this knowledge to difficult and complex work assignments in support of the Asian Studies Detachment's collection and reporting mission and in coordination with other agencies.
- Knowledge of digital conversion principles, procedures, and operations.
- Ability to manage digital assets and archival information systems.
- Ability to supervise clerical personnel performing the digital conversion tasks.
- Ability to provide consultation or liaison duties.
- Ability to plan and execute work.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively other than in writing.
- 2 - 5 years' Library Science experience Japanese language proficiency
- Experience in copy and original cataloging of non-English library materials
- Familiarity with open source ILS software such as Open Biblio Openbiblio + Koha systems experience
- Knowledge of Resource Description and Access (RDA)
- Travel to Camp Zama and its vicinity in Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan is provided.
- At the end of the tour, return to CONUS travel will be provided.
- Applicant will relocate to Camp Zama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, for the duration of the assigned position.
Security Clearance Requirement:
- Secret Level or TS level clearance desired
- Duty is located in Camp Zama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan and requires overseas travel.
- Appointment/retention is subject to a favorable evaluation of an appropriate personnel security/suitability investigation.
- Term of employment is on a one year basis, with the potential to extend to two years depending upon budget considerations.
- A “Not to Exceed“ (NTE) status is used to identify an appointment with a specific ending date.
- However, the Library has the right to separate an employee at any time due to either performance issues or budget constraints.
SAIC Overview:SAIC is a premier technology integrator providing full life cycle services and solutions in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets. SAIC is Redefining Ingenuity through its deep customer and domain knowledge to enable the delivery of systems engineering and integration offerings for large, complex projects. SAIC's approximately 15,000 employees are driven by integrity and mission focus to serve customers in the U.S. federal government. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see My SAIC Benefits. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Posting: Nov 6, 2018, 3:30:11 PM
Primary Location: Japan-Yokosuka-YOKOSUKA
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Top Secret/SCI
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 25% of the time
Shift: Day Job