As a member of the Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) Digital & Social Media team, the Editorial Content and Brand Journalism Specialist will play a critical role in growing Raytheon’s brand externally by identifying and telling compelling stories about our business, products, capabilities and employees. The position has three core areas of responsibility: editorial content generation, production and editing, and team coaching in writing and content production.
The candidate will report to the RMS Bureau Chief and partner with Public Relations, Marketing & Branding, Community Relations, Employee Engagement and Executive Communications to find and tell compelling stories targeted to key audiences in support of high-profile business pursuits and keep-sold programs. These stories will be distributed on Raytheon.com and the company’s social and advertising channels and intranet.
The candidate will also partner with the Bureau Chief to implement an ongoing writing and content coaching program for RMS Communications employees.
- Collaborate with the mission area; campaign; Organizational Communications, Public Relations, Digital & Social Media and Executive Communications teams; external influencers and industry experts to produce relevant, compelling editorial content that meets the needs of internal and external audiences, including key stakeholders.
- Hands-on, end-to-end production of hard news and feature stories.
- Maintain RMS editorial calendar and update corporate content calendars with schedule additions and changes.
- Ensure all editorial content and production processes adhere to corporate standards, requirements and operational protocols.
- Partner with the DSM lead to maintain high editorial standards and implement ongoing staff development for content production and writing across the function.
- Team with Communications and Business Development resources in RMS and the other Raytheon businesses to source and create “One Raytheon” content that drives customer and public awareness of key Raytheon programs and capabilities.
- Convert existing Public Relations, Business Development and program content into compelling copy for white papers, videos, articles, presentations, case studies and infographics.
- Create engaging written content for all internal and external digital outlets, including websites, PDF collateral, e-mail, blogs and social networks.
- Minimum of 6 years related experience with an emphasis in writing, reporting, editing and content production for external audiences.
- BA or BS in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, English, Advertising, Marketing or related fields with supplemental training and/or work experience. (Master's degree may be considered in lieu of 2 yrs of experience.)
- Strong understanding of journalistic reporting principles, tactics and requirements, including mastery of AP Style.
- A portfolio of examples demonstrating mastery of multiple writing styles, including hard news, feature story, press release, personality profile, op-ed and “short” social copywriting.
- Basic photojournalism abilities, including the use of Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom for image post-production and retouching.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Strict attention to detail is needed, along with the ability to collect, analyze and manipulate multiple sources of data, and process instructions from various sources.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with all levels of employees, management and customers.
- Demonstrated success working effectively in cross-functional teams to execute strategic priorities in an environment with rapidly changing business priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, web applications and data analysis tools.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Aerospace and defense industry communications experience preferred, with demonstrated successes in content production for DoD and government agency customers.
- Prior experience as a professional journalist for a daily or weekly publication, with an understanding of production deadlines preferred.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.