Check us out on YouTube:
Do you actively seek out problems to solve? Do you love helping people or teams? If your answer is an enthusiastic “Yes!” then you may be the person we want to join our team as a System Safety Engineer (SSE).
The System Safety Engineering Department is seeking a System Safety Engineer II. System Safety Engineering ensures our Raytheon products safely perform their required mission functions through their required lifecycle environments while also meeting overall cost and schedule constraints. This position will be supporting programs specifically by working with experienced System Safety practitioners and missile engineering personnel to ensure that our products are designed with safety in mind.
What are the hazards in our products and what are all the energetics (explosives, gas vessels, lasers, springs, lithium batteries, etc.) contained within them? Do we have all the data and information needed to develop a safety assessment and request Safety Review Board approval? These are the questions the SSE answers every day. Entry level engineers will work under the direction and mentoring of senior Safety Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and their Engineering Leadership in handling System Safety Engineering tasks as members of the System Safety Engineering Department.
So what does a SSE do? They analyze engineering drawings, Bill of Materials (BOM), and work instructions to identify hazards, safety significant components and subsystems (to include software, firmware, hardware, procedures and training). The SSE submits supporting data to the proper safety approval authorities and archives the documents and supporting data within an internal document management system. The SSE are responsible for interacting with the Program Management, Engineering, EHS and government approval authorities from program startup operations until safety approvals are obtained, through Production and demilitarization and disposal activities. They regularly interface with lead engineers, Operations, and Program Management across all Raytheon products to support the system safety program. The SSE requires a high degree of self-motivation and ability to effectively interface with co-workers across all RMS product lines, Engineering, Operations and Supply Chain Management.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.Required Skills:
- Perform System Safety engineering tasks and analyses, applying technical knowledge to meet Raytheon and customer requirements
- Interpretation of system requirements, customer specifications and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination
- Design verification (fault tree analyses, hazard analyses, sneak circuit analyses, software system safety analyses)
- Exercise considerable latitude in technical decisions to meet customer requirements relevant to the System Safety program
- Prepare internal and customer reports describing various analyses relevant to the System Safety program
- Represent the System Safety Engineering Department as a member of the program, responsible for identifying key issues and addressing them to achieve optimal technical solutions
- Take an analytical approach and utilize technical knowledge to solve challenges with optimal solutions
- Some travel to Raytheon Albuquerque, NM may be required
- Interface with and function across multiple disciplines to gain a full understanding of the product architecture and design
- A minimum of four (4) years of professional engineering experience (not including internships)
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Have experience reading, reviewing, and understanding technical engineering drawings for the identification of energetics used in product configurations
- Proficiency in MS Office suite products to include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience programming firmware/Programmable Logic Devices; exposure to VHDL programming and development environments
- Have experience with software development, to include C, C++, Java, and Assembly languages
- Self-starter with the ability to independently pursue technical information and solve problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- Problem solve and seek out additional resources
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens. Additional information can be found here:
- B.S. in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM); Desired: ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.