The Armorer/Ammo Trainer-Mentor will TAAM the Garrison Support Unit (GSU), General Support Kandak (GSK), ANASOC, the Cobra Strike Maneuver Course (CSMC), and subordinate ANASOC organization counterparts at various locations in Afghanistan, as required, and serves as the lead for all matters concerning ammunition, Ammunition Holding Area (AHA), and Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) training, operations and plans, force development, and modernization. The mentor primarily supports the GSU on Camp Commando and the CSMC at Camp Scorpion/Pul-e Charki and serves as the principle mentor to the GSU CDR, the CSMC CDR, and ANASOC leadership and staff in the duties and responsibilities of the ASP including, but not limited to, the following: Implement and operate programs, practices, and procedures for developing optimal utilization of the ASP, as well as design and develop programs of instructions for assigned personnel; perform maintenance modification, destruction and demilitarization on ammunition and explosive components; operate computer hardware, software/utilities, and manual records in order to perform stock control and accounting procedures; perform ammunition supply stock control and accounting duties using both automated and manual procedures; inspect small arms and heavy weapon systems to determine a need for repair or destruction; identify ammunition and ammunition-related publications, ammunition/maintenance operations, explosives demolition operations and operation of automated and manual ammunition management systems (i.e., CoreIMS-EE). As required, the mentor will conduct TAAM of Afghan counterparts at outstation locations as part of an Expeditionary Advisor Package (EAP).
Work may include nights, holidays, and weekends on short notice. Standard will be to conduct training six (6) days per week for up to ten (10) hours per day while at OCONUS work site(s) and a standard 40 hour work week while at CONUS work sites.
- Provide training to Afghan armorers to level II maintenance and AHA/ASP management
- The Armorer/Ammo Trainer-Mentor will report to the GSU Team Leader, as well as the Deputy Program Manager located at Camp Morehead
- The Armorer/Ammo Training-Mentor will TAAM the Cobra Strike Maneuver Course (CMSC) in support of SOE-Mobility
- Trainer will be responsible for regularly interacting with US military personnel; coalition force as required
- Based on circumstances that are unique to their work locations, trainers will be responsible for making on the scene decisions as to how to execute the curriculum
- Along with their local site managers, trainers will be responsible for assessing how well the ANA students have learned the coursework
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Former enlisted or higher in Military Occupational Skill (MOS) 99A, 99B, or service equivalent with a minimum of three years’ experience in AHA/ASP management, or have served in a similar capacity either as a contractor (i.e., LOGCAP services) or USG Civil Servant in the military ammunition field
- Combat experience in Iraq or Afghanistan
- MS Office skills and Personal Computer (PC) skills
- Must exhibit excellent interpersonal and people skills
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Possess excellent organizational skills, project management ability and skills
- Trainer shall have appropriate level of experience as US military unit armory and/or civilian equivalent of gunsmith certification from any approved State
- Must possess a US Passport with at least 6 months of remaining eligibility
- Must be able to obtain an Afghanistan Visa
- This position requires a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization
- Additional requirements as necessary deemed by the team leader and/or the Deputy Program Manager onsite
- Include but are not limited to the wear of body armor and helmet Personal Protective Gear, unassisted lifting and carrying of duffle bags not exceed the weight of 70 lbs per piece, and the unassisted movement over uneven terrain.
- Must be willing to work and live in Afghanistan with an understanding that there could be further assignments to any location in Afghanistan based upon the needs of the U.S. Government, to include hostile and austere areas.
- Must be able to attend and pass USG deployment requirements at CONUS Replacement Center (CRC), Fort Bliss, Texas or equivalent location.
- Must meet the medical requirements for the position being offered as determined by a pre-employment medical screening and in accordance with published CRC and USCENTCOM medical deployment standards.
- Must be able to walk or stand on level and/or inclined surfaces up to eight (8) hours per day and sit for up to three (3) hours per day.
- Must be able to routinely climb / descend stairs.
- Must be able to routinely grasp or handle objects, use finger dexterity, bend elbows / knees, and reach above / below shoulders.
- Must be able to read and interpret newspaper and typewritten print.
- Must be able to communicate by voice and detect sound by ear.
- Employee will be required to work and live in a potentially hostile environment, at remote locations, and under austere conditions.
- May be required to respond to a wide variety of operational circumstances, under extreme weather conditions, within a hostile environment.
- May be exposed to extreme noise from aircraft, hostile fire, and other acts of aggression associated with this region.
- Contractor personnel shall comply with all theater command policies, regulations, and General Orders. All tours are unaccompanied
- 12 months experience in Afghanistan preferred
Security Clearance: Must possess and maintain a current DoD Secret Security Clearance.
- Prefer previous experience training and advising foreign military soldiers
- Experience with US and Russian block weaponry and in AHA/ASP management
Required Education: Bachelor's degree from accredited school & four (4) years of related experience, OR two (2) years related experience with Master's degree. Eight (8) years of additional equivalent work experience (12 total years) may be accepted in lieu of BA/BS education requirement.