Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) designs and develops radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The Software Engineering Center is seeking an experienced engineering manager that will be responsible for leading an Engineering Department focused on the Secure Sensor Systems mission area. This department’s engineering functions include requirements analysis, architecture, design, implementation, integration and verification of embedded software applications. The Manager will lead approximately 100 software engineering professionals located in El Segundo, CA, with direct accountability of design and development performed on behalf of SAS programs.
- Engineering leadership. Manage engineering execution cost, schedule and technical performance, provide technical interface to customer, select and manage engineering performance metrics, manage assigned staff and manage engineering risks for the project
- Create partnerships to ensure effective software product development. Institute improvement processes and efficiencies to bring this engineering department to a new level of performance
- Provide leadership and application of domain process and company policies, manage department metrics and implement initiatives for performance improvement. Manage assets and budgets along with department overhead budget, review and approve the engineering department’s bid and proposal estimates
- Manage personnel. Appropriately size staff and balance department skills, deploy staff to projects and set priority, ensure excellent project execution, administer employee performance and career development and training
- Primary responsibilities are as department leader, although a portion of the Manager’s contribution will be as a software engineering professional assisting with projects or special assignments
- 12+ years of demonstrated experience as an engineering leader for product development projects
- Direct engineering experience with software product development
- Experience with process application for the engineering product life cycle e.g. Integrated Product Development Processes
- Strong people and “change agent” leadership skills. Accountability and drive; ability to make decisions, effectively delegate tasks and meet challenging deadlines
- Experience in supervisory/line management, including technical leadership, performance development and career development
- Be a “big picture” thinker with strong written and oral communication skills. Have sound judgment and decision making abilities. Able to effectively juggle multiple tasks and priorities, as well as be an advocate for process improvement and a team player able to build strong relationships and effectively partner with others
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization
- Direct experience in department / line management of a software engineering function at the department level
- Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies and DevOps pipeline concepts
- Familiarity with Raytheon’s engineering, talent acquisition, performance development, contract and financial processes and systems
- Understanding of lateral engineering functions; systems, hardware, test and quality
B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Science, or Mathematics. 129066
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.