What you'll get
A competitive salary between £50,000 – £60,000 – dependent on capability
As well as your base salary, you will receive a bonus of up to 15% of your salary for stretch performance and a competitive contributory pension scheme where we will double match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%. You will also have access to a number of flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few.
We are National Grid, and we are at the heart of energy. From heating homes to making sure businesses fire on all cylinders, we’re using our engineering excellence to connect people and the planet. We’re also looking to the future – innovating, inventing, and transforming – to make possible the energy systems of tomorrow. And that’s why there’s never been a more exciting time to join us and help us to make a difference to people’s lives every day.
About the role
Reporting into the National SSR, Risk and Compliance Manager, lead in ensuring corporate, statutory and legislative compliance for all building, mechanical, electrical and life safety systems. Responsible for evaluating the risks associated with the maintenance and replacement of all building fixtures and fittings, plant and equipment. Manage all aspects of Safety Wellbeing and security on behalf of Business Services.
- Support the National SSR, Risk and Compliance Manager in the formulation of the Compliance and Risk strategy for National Grid and play a key role in the decision-making process around Compliance and Risks.
- Be the main point of contact for advice and expertise on all safety matters
- Support in providing a comprehensive core SHE specialist advisory service to Corporate Property to meet statutory and legislative compliance. Accountable for ensuring all buildings within scope are fully compliant within regulatory, statutory requirements and National Grid Governance Framework.
- Lead in the assessment of risk, evaluation of supplier risk assessments and method statements and feedback on suitability and effectiveness. Identify potential risks and anticipated points of resistance, and develop specific strategies and plans to mitigate or address concerns. Take a proactive role in evaluating supplier approach to and capability to ensure statutory compliance.
- Analyse and record safety incidents, accidents and near miss events making recommendations to Leadership for minimising repeats in failures to comply with safe working practices.
- Report on safety indicators and apply a structured approach and methodology for the implementation of any process change to improve performance considering the findings.
- Develop the ongoing audit strategy to ensure alignment to National Grid’s strategic and SHE objectives and business requirements. Develop and manage an asset audit framework and be accountable for the proactive involvement of all required parties.
- You will have specialist auditing expertise in the area of safety and risk by performing independent audits of management systems and risk control systems
- A comprehensive knowledge of health and safety systems, processes and legislation
- A strong understanding of all relevant legislation including the Health and Safety at Work Act
- Proven track record of managing and mitigating risk
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to communicate and influence across a range of levels throughout Corporate Property and across the wider National Grid teams with the ability to build networks both internally and externally.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Health and Safety systems and processes, as well as Mechanical, Electrical, Building Systems and minor civil works
- Ability to implement operational and cultural change in project related environments
- Strong team leadership skills to motivate and inspire teams to deliver against ever increasing challenging business targets
- Excellent organisational and consultancy skills - strong influencer/negotiator, analytical and articulate
- Proven project management skills
- Proven contract deployment experience
- Degree-level education and/or professional qualification in H&S and Environmental management related subjects
- Membership of the IOSH and CIEH/AIEMA or NEBOSH Certificate or qualifications leading to membership of MICE, IEE, BIFM
Who are we
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
Advert closing date
18th December 2018