full-time employee contract
The System Administrator is a highly skilled troubleshooter with a broad range of skills to help keep a newly-deployed, complex, Cross-Domain Solution-based system operational. From diagnosing and fixing network issues to providing administrative support for Red Hat workstations and servers, the ideal candidate will enjoy rolling up the sleeves and getting into the weeds to keep the system online and functioning at peak performance. The ability to communicate with highly technical operators and engineers as well as non-technical managers will be essential to the successful candidate in this role.
This role is an integral part of a small team of professionals who will provide on-site support for the operation of a new infrastructure project that has been heavily tested and is ready for operations. The positions will eventually be for 2nd or 3rd shift, but initially 1st shift for training. There is an on-call requirement for this role to support the customer’s mission needs.
• Network troubleshooting (primarily layer 2 and layer 3 issues)
• Red Hat Linux system administration, including account maintenance, filesystem troubleshooting, and firewall issues, etc.
• Assist with backup and recovery of system software components
• Occasional delivery of equipment, and sometimes software, to the site
• Provide logistical support during on-site training, demonstrations, etc.
• Assist with troubleshooting database issues (e.g. locked accounts, session locking, etc.)
• Help with the installation of custom and third-party software and hardware patches, firmware updates, etc.
• Managing User accounts
• Implimenting operational and technical security controls
• Communicate with the designers and implementers of the system when necessary to diagnose system-specific issues
Mandatory Skills Requirements:
• Strong understanding of general networking concepts, including layer 2 and layer 3 protocols, router and switch configuration and troubleshooting, and Red Hat networking
• Knowledge of and/or experience with one or more network operating systems (e.g. Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS, etc.)
• Knowledge of Red Hat system administration, including firewall configuration and user account management
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Other Skills Preferred:
• Some knowledge of VMware vSphere administration and VM configuration
• Some experience with Cross-Domain Solutions systems
• DoD 8570 AIT Level II Compliant (Security+)
• Knowledge of and/or experience with networking troubleshooting tools like Wireshark (or tcpdump)
• Knowledge of and/or experience with one or more relational database systems, such as PostgreSQL, SQLite, MySQL, etc.
• Experience working with military personnel