Kennedy Space Center
SAIC is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with the following duties, skills, experience and background. Individual filling this position will provide Mechanical Design Engineer support services to the Institutional Projects Branch, to include facility design packages, design consultation, and design products. Provide mechanical engineering expertise. Provide Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning design capability, providing specifications and designs utilizing the most recent versions of computer aided design software. Provide calculations for air flow, heat load, and controls required to develop designs which include the proper specification of equipment, ductwork, and ancillary systems for chilled water fed units and direct expansion units for large administrative buildings, for production facilities, and for warehouses. Provide sequence of operations as required for air handlers, chillers and controls as part of design packages. Provide activation and test plans to ensure all designed equipment has specified testing plans to ensure compliance with SMACNA, ASHRAE and other industry standards. Provide system piping expertise, including the ability to develop high fidelity riser diagrams, perform flow calculations, and to provide specifications for piping systems, including piping, valves, backflow preventers, strainers, expansion tanks, insulation, and proper material selections. Provide expertise in chilled water, hot water, potable water, and waste water design. Provide controls expertise and proficiency and knowledge in the installation and operation of direct digital controls and/or programmable logic units used to support large facility integrated environmental controls
• Develop design drawings, design packages, specification packages, and provide calculations to support designs for various light construction projects typically under $1M in value.
• Provide equipment specifications, identify critical spares, and ensure all aspects of design are addressed in design products.
• Obtain requirements for projects from various program customers, develop the requirements into design responses, and coordinate with cost estimators to ensure estimates accurately reflect designs.
• Present design reviews and requirements reviews to customer.
• Ensure customer requirements and maintenance team requirements inform designs to ensure maximum operability and customer satisfaction.
• Provide design consultation services during the execution phase of assigned projects.
• Ensure all project documentation for which the designer is responsible are reviewed, formatted and provided to the appropriate project manager to allow for turnover to the maintenance contractor.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree (mandatory in mechanical engineering) and 10 years relevant experience, with at least five years in the area of expertise.
• Professional Engineering License preferred.
DESIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Direct experience supporting Federal, NASA, or KSC facility projects.
• Familiarity and understanding KSC policies & procedures.
• Computer Aided Design product experience and expertise, with AutoCad or Microstation
• Can skillfully, openly, and proactively communicate and coordinate with Stakeholders
• Ability to work in dynamic and challenging environments
• Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
• Problem solving skills