Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
In order to create a more responsive and optimized electric grid that will meet our customers’ growing expectations while continuing to deliver clean energy in an efficient, safe and reliable fashion, National Grid has embarked on a grid modernization (GridMod) initiative that will implement new business and technology capabilities and platforms. Some of the key investments in this grid modernization include, but are not limited to, Distribution Automation, Distribution Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (DSCADA), enhancements in GIS, telecommunications upgrades, and advanced metering.
The GridMod Program Manager, working closely with their business counterpart, will be accountable for managing and delivering the IT scope of the GridMod program and all associated sub-programs, including any integration to several other transformational programs in the Transmission, Customer and Shared Services areas.
- Build strong relationships with, and gain the trust of, the business leads by demonstrating a close understanding of the GridMod initiatives and associated business implications.
- Working with the business leads, validate the overall GridMod strategy/approach, making necessary adjustments in business and technology direction/plans to maximize the desired business outcomes.
- Working with the GridMod business lead, drive and oversee the development and ongoing care and feeding of IT project plans (for all GridMod sub-programs) ensuring that they are consistent with respect to the manner in which they track deliverables, milestones, dates and interdependencies both within the GridMod program and to other major initiatives such as AMI, CXT and VOLT.
- Lead the IT development, testing, implementation and post-implementation phases of the overall GridMod program.
- Develop and maintain the GridMod roadmap in support of the future modernization efforts and ensure proper linkage to the enterprise application and technology IT roadmaps.
- Prepare business cases in collaboration with both IT and the business ensuring that benefits are clearly articulated and that finances and regulatory implications are properly documented.
- Manage the IT Project Managers responsible for the GridMod sub-program tracks/work streams and ensure that proper IT staffing is in place across all of the IT concentration areas as necessary – Solution Deliver, Infrastructure & Operations, Physical and Cyber Security, Enterprise Architecture, Data Management, Procurement, and Finance.
- Responsible for all IT finance and regulatory tracking and reporting associated with the GridMod program.
- Implement a risk management program for GridMod collaborating with the business and appropriate IT functions.
- Interact with senior executives and prepare reports/briefings to address executives’ informational needs.
- Coordinate as necessary with internal (e.g., Gas, Transmission, Regulatory, IS, HR…) and external (e.g. consultants, business partners, vendors) project stakeholders.
- Ensure that proper governance processes are in place to ensure adequate technical and financial controls and compliance.
- 10+ years in progressive leadership roles and significant experience in leading portfolios of multiple programs.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, negotiation, marketing and written and oral communication skills in working with customers and senior management across organizational lines.
- Proven track record of delivering large scale ($100M+), complex business and technology solutions in an organization undergoing significant transformation.
- Ability to work well within matrix organizations in delivering major change in an organization.
- Familiarity with industry best practice solutions (agile delivery, SOA, risk issue management, etc…)
- Ability to develop highly functional teams is an inspiring leader who leads by example, builds integrity within the team and champions a strong commitment to National Grid’s values and vision.
- Experience with organizational change/transformation.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.