Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is seeking an Electrical Engineer for a position within Distribution Planning & Asset Management (DPAM) in Albany, NY.
The Distribution Engineer in Distribution Planning & Asset Management will develop recommendations for required modifications and additions to sub-transmission and distribution facilities to enhance the resiliency of the system to adverse weather events and to modernize the grid in a fashion to meet forecasted capacity requirements and expanding customer service quality expectations in an economic manner that optimizes the use of existing systems and minimizes environmental concerns.
- The position is integral to the development of the five year work plan and fifteen-year Strategic Asset Management Plan. Planning studies will be scheduled and implemented in accordance with management direction.
- This position supports a host of activities that address customer technical requirements; assists regional customer operations in the technical operation of the distribution system; leads activities in tracking regional distribution reliability performance and promoting actions to improve it; and supports DPAM in completing its responsibilities.
- Responsibilities include customer and distributed generation studies and interconnection compliance verification engineering activities.
- Provides support to other areas of National Grid such as Electric Operations, Regional Control Center, Substation Engineering, Distribution Design, Smart Grid & New Energy Solutions.
- The position responsibilities also include high voltage customer interconnections, and technical guidance to customer groups.
- Distributed Generation study and support will be a key role for this position. This position will provide technical expertise and support from an engineering perspective to ensure integration of distributed generation to the electric power system in compliance with the NYSIR and National Grid’s energization requirements.
- Represent the company on industry and regulatory working groups as appropriate. Assure the focus and attainment of business goals and objectives.
- A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering school. Professional experience with determined appropriate Engineer position / title.
- Knowledge of relevant industry practice, standards and legislation.
- Knowledge of current trends within the industry and developments in legislation or regulation.
- Knowledge of National Grid's business operations, company policies and practices.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Work in a Project Management team environment.
- Adapts approach and considers what is important to the audience and tailors message accordingly.
- Actively builds and maintains a network of relationships, outside normal business contacts.
- Takes personal responsibility for correcting problems promptly and non-defensively communicates engineering customer expectations to monitor delivery of engineering projects and satisfaction.
- Proactively makes changes to improve performance, efficiency and effectiveness of processes; for example, challenge existing engineering procedures and highlight areas for improvement.
- Possesses positive expectations for team members and expresses regard for them.
- Is receptive to change and is willing to change ideas or opinions based on new information or contrary evidence.
- This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as developing and evolving in this position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.