About the position:
Under direct supervision for the first six months as a Design Representative-A Electric, and then under general supervision, to develop knowledge of, become familiar with, and prepare independently, construction orders related to overhead and underground facilities associated with electric transmission and distribution, by applying the prescribed Company standards, specifications, procedures, and systems. Perform related work associated with services requiring 3 phase metering, underground networks, large circuit rebuilds, manholes and ducts, lashed cables, 3 phase UCD, large public works (underground and overhead) and relocations, complex DOT jobs and relocations. Obtain Rights of Way (easements) and permits. Contact customers and/or their agents as required in connection with duties, including the calculation and collection of associated charges. Assist in the development of other Design Representatives with job duties that the employee has been trained and has had adequate exposure to as required
Examples indicative, but not all inclusive, of the type of duties to be performed:
- Promote the extension or construction of electric facilities including all necessary negotiations with customers or third parties, location of services, and obtainment of right-of-ways;
- Advise customers in the proper application of their electric service;
- Apply the prescribed Company standards, guides, specifications, practices, and procedures in preparing layouts of overhead and underground electric transmission facilities;
- Prepare cost estimates of construction and maintenance projects including necessary sketches;
- Coordinate with telecommunications groups in the leasing of duct spaces in the underground duct lines;
- Review network service single line submittals for compliance with Company System Specifications;
- Review service single line submittals for services 320A and above;
- Make load studies on distribution transformers and investigate circuit overloads and voltage complaints to determine necessary changes in circuits or equipment to restore service to satisfactory level of performance;
- Design and complete all network and/or spot service requests, including the review of customer equipment, necessary extension or enhancement of network, studies, etc.;
- Design all maintenance, expansion, rebuilds, etc. on the network systems including duct banks, vaults, head structures, transformers/protectors, etc.;
- Design all Sub –Transmission and Transmission underground installations, extensions, replacements, including pipe cable, large customer services, etc. at 23 kv and below;
- Design large distribution UCD installations, reviews, etc.;
- Design all man hole & duct line installations, extensions, rebuilds, relocations;
- Design all man hole, conduit & cable installations on bridge structures;
- Design all DOT highway crossings, directional bores, etc.;
- Design large scale three phase pad mount transformer installations, including within City limits;
- Design all primary metered customer services;
- Once trained and qualified, open pad mounted equipment and switchgears in accordance with all OSHA Standards, Crew Requirements and Company standards for design only;
- When accompanied by a qualified Underground Electric Crew, enter man-holes to inspect existing conditions and facilitate a quality design once trained;
- Utilize the Company information systems to track and update customer service activities;
- Determine the most economical method of providing local distribution system extensions and service facilities for customers.
- Make major decisions in the field relative to the above functions.
- Prepare and submit required reports and correspondence;
- At least a two (2) year degree in Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology or GIS from an accredited college or university.
- Ability to handle contacts with customers and other departments in connection with job duties.
- Satisfactorily pass validated aptitude exam identified by the Company
- Ability to follow prescribed standards and procedures.
The employee will progress from the starting level in accordance with the following schedule:
- Design Representative-A Electric (Starting Level) : Pay Group 14
- After two years the individual will be promoted to the level of Design Representative-B Electric.
- Design Representative-B Electric: Pay Group 18
- After an additional three years and satisfactory evaluation by management, the individual willbe promoted to the level of Design Representative-C Electric.
- Design Representative-C Electric: Pay Group 22
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.