Value Engineering Principle
Job ID: 458269BR
Date posted: Jan. 09, 2019
Description:In this position, you will use your extensive experience with and knowledge of RMS programs and their underlying technologies to identify and implement affordability projects that make our products more valuable to our customers and help RMS meet its financial objectives. This role requires that you:
• raise awareness of the affordability processes and solicit affordability ideas, including through the management of workshops and conferences;
• use your extensive experience and our team’s business case toolset to identify the highest-value affordability projects to undertake;
• locate the correct source(s) of investment for those projects;
• convince our coworkers to be all in to make those projects successful;
• pass a significant portion of the projects that you have helped launch on to your junior colleagues for successful management and execution;
• retain project management oversight of a portfolio of key and/or higher-risk projects to ensure that they are successful;
• track and demonstrate to key stakeholders that their investments are offering exceptional returns.
Success in this position will require both broad and deep knowledge of RMS programs and their underlying technologies; an extensive social network throughout RMS; the capacity to operate fluently in the worlds of engineering and finance; extraordinary project management skills; and the ability to create compelling narratives as well as deliver exceptional presentations.
You will also be called on to support your other colleagues in the Engineering Performance & Affordability group as needed. If the thought of occasionally creating standard work or doing other essential but basic activities disagrees with you, this is not the position for you. We are a small team that lives or dies by our ability to create return on investment for RMS, and every member of our team needs to be all in.
Lockheed Martin and Sikorsky are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities [Essential Functions, Estimated Work-Time %]
1. Work with colleagues throughout RMS to identify, quantify, evaluate, fund, and execute affordability ideas and projects that make our products more valuable and that enable RMS to meet its financial objectives, including project return on investment; [entrepreneurship, 70%]
2. Manage customer value engineering relationships to ensure alignment of customer objectives with affordability practices within RMS; [customer engagement, 10%]
3. Conduct affordability ideation or value engineering workshops with coworkers, suppliers, and customers; [event management, 10%]
4. Other duties as needed or required; [make life easier and better for your coworkers, 10%].
A low degree of supervision will be offered. You will be given broad goals, and you will receive regular feedback, but you will not receive a lot of hand holding. You must be strongly self-directed and an extraordinary “self-starter.”
Strong self-supervision, but no direct supervision of others. However, you must be able to convince others (over whom you have no direct authority) to collaborate with you to achieve your goals. You will also be expected to help your junior colleagues succeed in their projects and build their careers.
This position offers an almost unlimited opportunity to engage the Lockheed Martin engineering and finance community, including occasional executive level contacts. In other words, this is a high-visibility position, which should have a meaningful impact on RMS as a whole. It could lead to a wide variety of follow-on roles but is also suitable as a “capstone” role.
Qualifications & Skills – Required
You must possess these qualifications and skills to be considered for this position.
1. Knowledge of technology and products – you have a wealth of knowledge about RMS’s portfolio of products and projects as well as a robust technological understanding of the technologies underlying those products and/or projects. You could be dropped into a conversation with any RMS engineer and she would promptly discover that you understand the general principles and constraints that inform her ability to meet requirements.
2. Extroversion and social network – you enjoy interacting with people and do not mind engaging with people you don’t know at all, including people who have a background that is substantially different than your own. Because of this, you know many hundreds of different people at many RMS sites and throughout the many functions of our business.
3. Dual fluency – you are fluent in the languages and philosophies of both engineering and finance. You have at least an undergraduate degree in an engineering discipline and an undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, or a closely-related discipline. Applicants who hold a degree in one of the two required fields may be considered if they hold formal certifications or licenses in one field or the other.
4. Systems thinking – you understand how the many different pieces of a system fit and work together, both in terms of human and business systems and in terms of technical systems. You are expert at decomposing a problem into its component parts and address each of those parts in order to achieve a successful outcome.
5. Presentation and communication skills – you communicate clearly, concisely, and in a way that allows you to connect with your audience. You are comfortable presenting to groups. You can (and previously have) convinced your coworkers to take an unexpected or unpopular option because of a compelling argument, story, or presentation.
6. Project management – you have a demonstrated track-record of successfully managing large projects in companies of similar size and complexity as RMS.
7. Analysis – you consistently and unconsciously apply engineering judgment in all of your work, and are expert at creating numeric models. You may have a certification in systems engineering.
8. Travel – you have no restrictions or limitations that would prevent your traveling to visit Lockheed Martin and supplier facilities (primarily within the United States, but occasionally in other countries) for the purposes of interacting with coworkers, customers, and suppliers.
9. Mentoring - you have experience and interest in mentoring other people on your team; your view of success encompasses the success of your colleagues and coworkers.
10. Work authorization – you are presently authorized to work in the United States of America.
Qualifications & Skills – Preferred
All preferred qualifications and skills for this position are amplifications of the required qualifications and skills and are therefore not listed individually.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS6500 RMS
Relocation Available: No
Career Area: Miscellaneous Engineering
Clearance Level: Secret
Virtual Location: yes
Work Schedule: TEMPO: 9X80A - Standard Fri to Fri (Flex & Rigid)