Check us out on YouTube:
The System Safety Engineering Department is seeking a System Safety Tech Support Engineer (SSTSE). System Safety Engineering ensures our Raytheon products safely perform their required mission functions through their required lifecycle environments while also meeting overall cost and schedule constraints. This position will be supporting programs specifically by working with experienced System Safety practitioners and missile engineering personnel to ensure that our products are designed with safety in mind.
What are the hazards in our products and what are all the energetics (explosives, gas vessels, lasers, springs, lithium batteries, etc.) contained within them? Do we have all the data and information needed to develop a safety assessment and request Safety Review Board approval? These are the questions the SSTSE answers every day. Entry level engineers will work under the direction and mentoring of senior Safety Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and their Engineering Leadership in handling System Safety Engineering tasks as members of the System Safety Engineering Department.
So what does a SSTSE do? They analyze engineering drawings, Bill of Materials (BOM), and work instructions to identify hazards, safety significant components and subsystems (to include software, firmware, hardware, procedures and training). The SSTSE submits supporting data to the proper safety approval authorities and archives the documents and supporting data within an internal document management system. The SSTSE are responsible for interacting with the Program Management, Engineering, EHS and government approval authorities from program startup operations until safety approvals are obtained, through Production and demilitarization and disposal activities. They regularly interface with lead engineers, Operations, and Program Management across all Raytheon products to support the system safety program. The SSTSE requires a high degree of self-motivation and ability to effectively interface with co-workers across all RMS product lines, Engineering, Operations and Supply Chain Management.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.Required Skills:
- Interpretation of system requirements, customer specifications and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination
- Exercise considerable latitude in technical decisions to meet customer requirements relevant to the System Safety program
- Prepare internal and customer reports describing various analyses relevant to the System Safety program
- Interface with external customers (to include program management, safety review boards, US Government technical representatives) as needed to identify and mitigate hazards; present the safety status of the program for risk acceptance.
- Represent the System Safety Engineering Department as a member of the program, responsible for identifying key issues and addressing them to achieve optimal technical solutions
- Take an analytical approach and utilize technical knowledge to solve challenges with optimal solutions
- Interface with and function across multiple disciplines to gain a full understanding of the product architecture and design
- A minimum of four (4) years of professional experience
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Have experience reading, reviewing, and understanding technical engineering drawings for the identification of energetics used in product configurations
- Proficiency in MS Office suite products to include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proficiency in preparing for and conducting program briefings to senior management personnel and external safety review boards
- Have experience in conducting safety and safety process compliance assessments; to include issue identification, mitigation and go-forward plans
- Have proficiency in the preparation and conduct of awareness training to necessary stakeholders
- Have experience in developing program/project management plans
- Have awareness/experience interfacing with USG civilian and military customers
- Active DOD Secret or TS clearance
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens. Additional information can be found here:
- BS/BA degree; Master’s degree preferred
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.