Opportunity for an AI Researcher to start a group centered around their research interests in a research focused and technically diverse R&D organization. If you are a recognized researcher in the Artificial Intelligence community and can attract, hire and develop top notch talent while pursuing external funding goals from government research agencies, this position is an opportunity to shine as the leader of an exceptional team building the “next wave” of AI technologies at BBN.
Qualified candidates will have a strong publication record, experience writing and winning grant proposals, experience successfully executing projects, an ability to lead small teams, and a passion for their work that motivates others to pursue the same goals. Successful candidates will have a history of working on DARPA and/or IARPA programs, resulting in an understanding of those organizations’ goals, as well as relationships with program managers and other performers in the field. Success in building this new AI group will depend on your energy, creativity, and success in both scientific and personal relationship capacities.
Raytheon BBN Technologies is one of the nation's premier research and development laboratories and earned the 2011 National Medal of Technology and Innovation "for sustained innovation through the engineering of first-of-a-kind, practical systems". You will have the ability to tie the AI Research group’s thrusts to teams working in many other BBN areas, including synthetic biology, quantum computing, networking, RF systems, Natural Language Processing, etc.
Goals and Responsibilities
• Build and advance the AI research capability for BBN having measurable impact on business growth.
• Articulate and execute a unique and exciting AI vision, strategy and tactical direction for BBN. Influence the same for Raytheon.
• Trail blaze new areas and exploit new opportunities to serve our current customers as well as new customers through AI.
• Lead cross-functional teams performing both business development and program execution activities.
• Hire and develop a top-notch AI research and development team
Other responsibilities as required to insure team success
• Must be eligible for a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
• Has a vision for pursuing work within DARPA's 3rd wave of AI initiative.
• Requires an advanced technical degree, Ph.D. preferred, plus a minimum of 8 years of experience leading R&D teams.
• Demonstrated success influencing others, advancing new concepts, writing winning proposals and executing on CRAD projects.
• Distinguished reputation within the AI community and BBN’s customer set.
• Strong record of publications and invention disclosures/patents. Frequent presenter at industry conferences/symposia.
• Excellent mentor, coach and educator as required to develop staff AI capabilities.
• Able to serve as the AI spokesperson for BBN.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.