The Hardware Engineering Mission Area Lead for the Space Systems Mission Area, is responsible for the full life cycle development of hardware products across multiple product lines. This position will report directly to the Center Director for the Hardware Center, and will have direct line responsibilities for the Department Managers, Senior Technical Staff including Engineering Fellows, and support staff. The total engineering staff allocation to the Space Systems Mission Area Lead HWEC totals around 500 engineers divided amongst four Departments.
SAS Space Systems is at the forefront of space-based active and passive remote sensing technologies. Headquartered in El Segundo, Calif., SAS Space Systems' design and manufacturing expertise includes electro-optical, infrared, and radio frequency applications for space. From space situational awareness to persistent ground surveillance, missile defense target identification and tracking, weather and climate monitoring, and scientific discovery, SAS Space Systems' solutions meet critical national interest needs. Customers include branches of the U.S. military, the Dept. of Defense, Missile Defense Agency, NASA and NOAA, as well as several classified customers.
This Manager will provide oversight and guidance of HWEC activities in support of Space Systems Mission area and will manage the day to day activities. Responsibilities of the Director, include – but not limited to:
- Management and oversight of Department Staff responsible for each Product Area including compliance to all Integrated Product Development System (IPDS) reviews and gates
- Accountable for ensuring process maturity and metrics including that lessons learned are captured and shared
- Ensure that the HWEC Center Director is apprised of issues related to execution within the mission area and support needs
- Review and support integrated EAC Reviews
- Accountable for transition to production of hardware work products
- Responsible for the management of overhead budget for training and other overhead activities
- Responsible for HW proposal work products (technical and cost volume) for new business activities including development and maintenance of cost models.
- Working with the other Mission Area SEIT Lead to develop successful integrated bids across the mission area product lines
- Assignment and management of design Subject Matter Experts in the early capture phase, working in conjunction with the Capture Excellence Engineering office
- Responsible for staffing and skill mix for the Mission Area to include technology and development, execution and production support expertise
- Responsible for coordinating resources from the Lateral Departments in HWEC
- 14+ years of engineering experience
- Direct engineering experience with product development
- Experience with process application for the engineering product life cycle e.g. Integrated Product Development Processes
- Strong people and “change agent” leadership skills. Accountability and drive; ability to make decisions, effectively delegate tasks and meet challenging deadlines
- Experience in supervisory/line management, including technical leadership, performance development and career development
- US Citizenship and existing DOD Secret Clearance with current SSBI and ability to obtain program access
Required EducationB.S. in Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Systems, Science, or MathematicsU.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- Current active access to mission area programs is a plus
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.