We are looking for a creative and self-motivated software
engineer to take a central role in developing and maintaining our cutting-edge
compute infrastructure for evaluation of emerging technologies like AI and
The successful candidate will join the multidisciplinary team of the Identity
and Data Sciences Laboratory (IDSL), a technology evaluation group within SAIC.
The IDSL combines the dynamic environment of a startup with the stability and
work-life balance of a large government contractor.
The IDSL staffs the Maryland Test Facility (MdTF; http://mdtf. org)
where we carry out large scale testing of emerging technologies. The
candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team composed of software engineers,
data scientists, behavioral scientists and integration engineers.
he software engineer will:
· Maintain and update a flexible data collection backend to meet changing requirements.
· Write and implement new backend services.
· Interface daily with data scientists, test engineers, and front end developers
· Maintain and augment a backend biometric collection system and analytic frameworks.
The ideal candidate:
· Thrives on being on the critical path and is not afraid of a challenge.
· Able to think critically to solve business challenges with technology, and can clearly explain and document technical advantages of solution.
· Prioritizes code simplicity/maintainability.
· Comfortable working within a diverse team including test engineers and data scientists. Adapts system requirements to changing needs.
· Experience working in a research environment.
· Experience with open source software tools.
· Familiarity with task tracking tools such as JIRA.
This position is based in Upper Marlboro, MD. Up to 10% travel is expected within the continental US.
Required BS and demonstrated interest in the following areas:
1. Building Microservices (e.g. in Golang, python, or Java)
2. Containers (e.g. Docker/Rkt)
3. Container orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes/Marathon/Rancher/ECS)
4. Monitoring (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana)
5. Databases (e.g. MySQL, MemSQL, BigQuery)
6. CI/CD Tooling (e.g. Jenkins/Travis/Bamboo)
7. Automation Tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
8. Leveraging cloud environments (e.g. AWS or GCP)