The Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) program is developing the next-generation weather satellite system and operating the current weather satellite constellation to provide decision quality weather data to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the nation’s weather data users. Raytheon is developing, deploying, and sustaining the JPSS Command, Control, and Communications Segment (C3S), the Interface Data Processing Segment (IDPS), and the Field Terminal Segment (FTS). For more information on JPSS, see:
The Mission Operations Team (MOT) of Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS) is seeking a Ground Systems Engineer to provide support to the JPSS Common Ground System (CGS) operated by Raytheon at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF) in Suitland, Maryland. This position is located at the NSOF.
The EMOC-SE is responsible for understanding the entire system and maintaining situational awareness of systems health. The system includes Space/Ground links, Spacecraft, Ground Station support equipment, Data Transport systems, all ground software/hardware architecture and network interfaces (especially with the White Sands Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS)), and understanding impacts of anomalies to the entire system.
The EMOC-SE position is staffed 24/7 and ability to work shift work is required. Some work hour variation is required at satellite launch periods.
- Pre-Launch work hours are between 8am to 5pm.
- At Launch minus 90 days, the work hours will be scheduled to support 24/7 Satellite Operations including various mission activities leading up to Launch and will require flexible work schedules. This will include some off-hours, weekends and possibly holidays depending on mission needs.
- Various mission activities require a flexible work schedule, sometimes during off-hours, weekends, and holidays depending on mission needs. This position requires some scheduled standby periods for reaction to system anomalies.
Required:Ability to pass a National Agency Check (NAC) in order to get a USG Common Access Card for access to the system at the satellite operations facility.Minimum four years experience with Satellite ground systems and supporting operations.Engineering background with troubleshooting familiarity.Desired Skills: Experience and knowledge of complex, distributed ground systems to include satellite ground station equipment and procedures. This includes:
- Leading the shift crew.
- Coordinate with Mission Planner for specialized activities.
- Working with Calibration/Validation team and other specialized teams during shift operations.
- Coordinate deviations from planned operations as well as anomaly responses or diagnostic mode.
- Write, track and report Work Requests (WRs are system trouble tickets.)
- Authorize manual, guarded, and emergency commands after coordination with the Senior System Engineer. These commands can impact the system so require coordination.
- Maintain and validate shift logs. Write shift reports, as-required.
- Maintain situational awareness of system health and coordinate support as required.
- Maintain Ground Ops Products as-required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Network (LAN/WAN) architecture, protocols and equipment.
- UNIX and Microsoft® Windows® 2000 domains.
- Knowledge and experience with Ground System and Satellite Operations or I&T.
- Software/system test and validation processes.
- Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) development and validation.
- Experience with Raytheon software systems (ECLIPSE ™, EQUINOX ™, ESC ™) and science data processing systems are highly desired.
Travel may be required inside and outside the Continental United States.
BS Degree in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Space Operations, Computer Technology, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering and four years prior relevant Experience,OR Twelve years of applicable experience in lieu of degree.This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.