Chief Engineer, Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE)
Job ID: 485407BR
Date posted: Jun. 12, 2019
Description:Are you a technical leader with big picture vision who still loves the ability to have your hands in the technical work? As the Chief Engineer (CE) of the Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) you will be responsible for all engineering capability, activities, and work products, as well as the consistency and quality of our engineering staff, processes, and tools. As CE, you will occupy the most senior technical position within OPCoE, and as such, you are responsible for the technical excellence of the organization.
OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members integrate experts across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group. At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world.
As Chief Engineer of OPCoE, you will support program execution, resolution of technical issues, and new business positioning across all of Lockheed Martin Space. You will engage programs and bring teams together to achieve efficient, effective, and creative engineering solutions. This includes strategic product evolution, achieving common designs and products to enable affordable solutions. You will act as an advocate for engagement with the Lines of Business (LOBs), matching resources to needs and staffing critical positions for the LOB. As a technical authority, you will identify and develop top talent across OPCoE. This will include preparing and positioning top talent for growing levels of responsibility as future leaders or technical specialists of OPCoE. You will also attract, develop, and retain diverse engineering workforce, while fostering an inclusive environment.
More specifically, you will:
• Assure horizontal technical integration of optical payload related activities across LM Space, resulting in an improved risk posture that includes technical, schedule and cost performance evaluations during program execution.
• Support the resolution of technical problems through independent review and oversight, and engage in architecture definition, technology development and insertion, and technical trades while emphasizing commonality, standard methodologies, and value.
• Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with LOB Chief Engineers and the Space Chief Engineer organization.
• Ensure engagement of engineering resources to resolve anomalies and technical issues and ensure that program lessons learned are captured and fed back into the Space Corrective Action Board (CAB) process.
• Participate in make/buy decisions, product sourcing decisions, and supplier capability assessments.
We are seeking a leader with a track record of delivering to technical, schedule, and financial commitments, and driving the best customer and enterprise value as a result. We want someone who demonstrates a breadth of technical knowledge across multiple functions and a variety of program experience. Our CE is someone with exceptional communication skills, and a proven ability to represent the organization to customers, employees, and partners.
You are a strategic thinker with demonstrated experience operationalizing strategic vision into actionable engagement. You have done this effectively in a large, complex organization in a dynamic, changing environment, and show skill in identifying and mitigating mission and implementation risk. You thrive in an environment which supports the integration of multi-disciplinary technical teams. You should have strength in Systems Engineering life-cycle processes and complex system(s) launch certification. You enjoy driving innovation through the design and delivery of affordable mission-enabling capabilities aligned to customer operations, requirements, needs and market development.
• SCI Cleared
• Experience in E&T functional and Line of Business (LOB)
• Experience leading large technical teams, driving staffing, and personnel development, and performance evaluation
• Systems Engineering experience highly desirable, but not required.
• Experience or familiarity with the Special Programs LOB and Special Programs customers.
• Demonstrated full spectrum leadership and next generation leadership characteristics: Exhibit decision-making courage; demonstrate situational awareness. Value and practice effective relationship and network building. Demonstrate inclusive behavior and actively cultivate workforce and thought diversity.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: ESS4400 SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Electro-Optical Engineering
Clearance Level: TS/SCI w/Poly
Virtual Location: no
Work Schedule: 9x80A-9,9,9,9,8 hrs/d in wk1, /9,9,9,9,off in wk2