The Software Engineering Center (SEC) is seeking a Senior Engineering Department Manager (DM) to be responsible for the leadership and nurturing of the Software Products (SWP) department within the SEC. The SWP department helps RMS program teams by providing expertise, common solutions and innovations – creating and sustaining cutting-edge modular SW products that provide discriminating capabilities that are easily adoptable by programs. In addition, the SWP department creates the business models and organizational processes necessary to implement these products. The SWP DM will actively engage with Product Line Chief Engineers, IPT (Integrated Product Team) Leads, Program Managers / Directors, Chief Engineers, customers and other stake holders to ensure common SW products and services effectively meet business and product needs.
The Senior Engineering DM for Software will be responsible for leading a group of more than 75+ engineers. As a key leader, the DM will be responsible and accountable for the execution excellence of the entire team. Additionally, the DM will be a vital part of the SEC Leadership team, setting vision and strategy for continuously improving Software development across the entire RMS portfolio of programs and product lines. This will be achieved through:
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions) include:
- Team building
- Communications with internal and external customers to understand needs and priorities
- Career development of direct reports and others through coaching and mentoring
- Exhibiting role model behavior for diversity, respect, and ethics
- Goals setting and active monitoring of accomplishments to those goals
- Performance management through rating, ranking, and compensation planning
- Demonstrated domain expertise
- Lead the Department staff, attracting and developing effective software engineers and leaders
- Provide effective assignment and leadership for Section Heads and IPTLs to ensure success for product development and program execution
- Provide strong technical performance leadership by defining responsibilities, motivating employees, and demonstrating effective problem solving.
- Ensure appropriate staff development through effective performance management including goal setting, career development, compensation, ranking & rating, employee training, and developmental task assignments
- Ensure technical rigor and depth of all deliverables meeting Engineering and Program expectations and constraints
- A minimum of 12 years of embedded software engineering experience to include leadership roles with a strong technical background and the following:
- Hands on object oriented real time embedded software engineering, including scripting languages
- Detailed understanding of other engineering disciplines including System Engineering, Systems Integration and Test, Software Configuration Management and Software Quality
- Experience creating and giving complex technical presentations to executive leadership and customers
- Agile/Scrum expertise including recent use and championing of these methodologies
- Experience in generating & influencing customer requirements
- Must have an existing DoD issued Secret Security clearance (TS/SSBI preferred) or the ability to obtain one.
Required Education (including Major):
BS in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or other related engineering field, math or physics.
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
- Excellent communication ability in verbal, written and presentation formats
- Excellent proactive problem solving experience
- Ability to influence others to achieve technical and programmatic goals
- Strong department strategic vision and the ability to develop and execute change ideas
- Team thinker, player and builder
- Strong business acumen
- Advanced Engineering/Technical degree
- Program Manager Level 6 or higher certification
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.