Department Manager- Energetics and PropulsionAre you a leader who wants to establish a vision andmake it a reality?Do you enjoy developing and leading a diverse team?Would you enjoy knowing your efforts directly impactdefending our nation and allies?
If you are a leader ready to bring your talent and skills to the world leader in missile systems, we want to talk to you! We are Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) and we design, develop and produce missile systems including air-to-air, strike, air and ballistic missile defense, land combat, guided projectiles, and directed energy weapons. The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) at RMS establishes environmental requirements, design engineering from vehicle system concept to final design, and verification testing and product support for missile systems and subassemblies. The mission of MSD is to provide world-class mechanical solutions while exceeding our customer’s expectations.
The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is seeking a Senior Engineering Department Manager (DM) to lead MSD’s Energetics and Propulsion Department. The Energetics and Propulsion Department is responsible for the full life cycle of energetic and propulsion products across all RMS programs. This department provides the design, analysis, integration, production support and supplier management for Rocket Motors, Divert and Attitude Control Systems (DACS), Fuzing and Safety Subsystems, Thermal Batteries and Target Defeat Mechanisms.
The Senior Engineering DM for Energetics and Propulsion will be responsible for leading a diverse group of more than 120 engineers supporting all product lines within RMS and will additionally support product lines from other RTN business units on an as-needed basis. As a key leader, the DM will be responsible and accountable for the execution excellence of the entire team. This will be achieved through:
Driving velocity and efficiency into our designs and processes. Being a champion for, and model of diversity, inclusion, respect, and ethical behavior. Managing a distributed workforce, including leveraging employees at remote RMS sites as well as supplier outsourcing of work packages. Demonstrated domain expertise in design, analysis and testing of hardware. Routine Communication with internal and external customers to understand needs and priorities. Establishing program plans (technical, cost, schedule) and executable configurations for new capture and spiral upgrades meeting MSD and Engineering rigor expectations. Staffing programs with appropriate skill sets through internal and outsourced engineering resources. Provide effective assignment and leadership for Section Heads, IPTLs and SMEs to ensure success for product development and program execution. Performance management through rating, ranking, and compensation planning. Coaching and mentoring of direct reports and others.
The ideal candidate will have significant technical experience in one of the following areas with the ability to engage across the areas identified:
Fuzing/Initiation/Safety Subsystems, Battery/Power Sources, Pyrotechnic/One-shot Devices, Warhead Systems, and Solid Liquid Propulsion. The candidate will work closely with Engineering Leadership on strategic energetics/propulsion initiatives and investigations, leading Program and Supplier teams and interfacing with senior RMS leadership, as well as senior leaders within our supply base and customer community. Required Education (including Major):
- B.S. in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering degree in a related field, Math or Physics
- M.S. or PhD in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering degree in a related field, Math or Physics or MBA.
Desired Experience and Skills:
- 12 years of experience in design, development and supplier management activities associated with Energetic and Propulsion Systems Proven Leadership in a Program Management (PM) role with direct impact on Program Profit/Loss and Personnel Management.
- PM Certification Level 5 achieved or on track with equivalent of 2+ years of successful experience leading a team with responsibilities for cost (>$10M), schedule and technical performance or equivalent.
- Excellent proactive problem solving experience in both hard and soft arenas Ability to influence others to achieve technical and programmatic goals Ability to evaluate and independently drive the organization considering the Enterprise big picture.
- Strong department strategic vision and the ability to develop and execute change ideas Experienced hiring manager excellent proactive problem solving experience and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent and succinct communication ability in verbal, written and presentation formats.
- Failure Review Board (FRB) and/or Failure Investigation Team (FIT) experience Team thinker, player and builder
- Must have an existing Secret, or the ability to obtain a, DoD issued Top Secret Security clearance and able to obtain access to proprietary programs.
- 20 years of experience in Energetic and Propulsion Systems
- Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements-of-work are strongly desired.
- Previous experience in business development and technology road mapping.
- Demonstration of successful team leadership activities.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.