Raytheon's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) Mechanical Engineering Directorate (MED) leads in mechanical hardware design, development and production of radar, sonar, torpedo and combat system equipment. The Mechanical Engineering Directorate Design and Development section of Materials Engineering uses state-of-the-art tools, processes technology, Raytheon Six Sigma principles and provides design input for materials selection and related processes. This position will be located in Portsmouth, RI and will be part of a small but growing group of Materials Engineers at this location. This position requires a self-starter who is ambitious, hands-on, and able to network effectively to develop active working relationships with Operations, Quality, and Manufacturing Engineers in the Portsmouth, RI location. This position will require occasional trips to Andover MA at the start of the employment for training/introduction to counterparts in the lab areas.
- Work with Design personnel in the selection and approval of materials and finishes in new designs
- Work with limited supervision and take ownership of project to achieve schedule, financial and technical goals as assigned
- Work with manufacturing product and design personnel to identify, resolve and document materials related issues and processes
- Analyze products and processes for compliance with several material regulations utilizing manufacturer information, detailed designs, data manipulation tools, engineering best practices, and other varied sources of information
- Determine complete composition of parts and materials as well as the provenance of the parts and materials
- Support international teams that analyze product material content in a consistent manner by following and adapting common processes
- Coordinate validation of new materials and processes for use on existing and new products
- Perform analysis of alternate materials to ensure compliance to regulations as well as internal quality standards
- Write and edit standard processes and guidelines
- Support supplier base in resolution of materials and process related issues and supplier technical assessments
- Work with and direct technical support personnel in the use of a wide range of materials
- Coordinate testing and document results in validating new materials and processes for use on existing and new products
- Assist in the specification of material and Quality processes
- Up to 15% travel required including some international
This position can be Salary Grade G08 (Senior Multi-disciplined Engineer I) or Salary Grade G09 (Senior Multi-disciplined Engineer II) based upon the applicant’s qualifications as they relate to the skills, leadership, experience and responsibility requirements of the position.U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- 4+ years of related materials engineering experience
- Experience working with design and development, manufacturing and/or suppliers in materials engineering related design, development and/or manufacturing projects
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Power Point/ Excel / Project)
- U.S. citizenship is required
- Self-motivated and possess good communication skills, especially in creating technical documents for an audience with limited technical background
- Desire and ability to work as a team member is essential
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to perform root cause/corrective action
- Solid understanding of materials and processes
- Working knowledge of reading and interpreting engineering drawings
- Knowledge of databases and the ability to analyze data
- Experience working on programs for naval or undersea applications
- Experience working with design and development to identify and / or qualify materials and processes.
- Experience with polymeric materials and properties including adhesives, sealants, potting, coatings, thermoplastics and thermosets material applications and properties
- Experience working with metals their properties and applications
- Experience with the flow down of engineering drawing requirements to process instructions for manufacturing personnel and process engineers
- Must be adaptable and willing to work varying assignments
- Understanding of corrosion mitigation and controls
- Working knowledge of Military and Commercial Materials and Process Specifications
- Knowledge of Design of Experiments, and statistical techniques
Required Education (including Major):BS required in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgy, Composites, Plastics or equivalent technical degree.What’s YOUR Mission?Here at Raytheon, we work together as one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Our innovation spans all domains: from land and sea to air, space and cyberspace. We’re inspired by a noble mission that’s shared by Raytheon employees around the globe and an inclusive culture that empowers employees and celebrates their contributions.What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits Raytheon offers include paternal leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care. Find out why Forbes ranks us among the top 500 of America’s Best Employers by visiting us online at .
Stay Connected: Don’t miss out on what’s happening at Raytheon. Follow Follow Follow Follow Raytheon: “Diversity is at the heart of all we do at Raytheon. We embrace diversity and diverse opinions; we treat people with dignity and respect to support our inclusive culture. This allows us to retain and attract the world-class talent and supplier base we need to develop the innovative solutions our global customers depend on. We view our diversity as a competitive advantage as a key enabler of our growth."- Thomas A. KennedyRaytheon Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.