University Programs: Mechanical Engineering Intern (Freshman or Sophomore)
***Great opportunity for current college students entering their Freshman or Sophomore year in college by Fall 2019. If you are not a current student at this level, please visit our other college opportunities at and apply!***
As a defense contractor, there are specific programs requiring a certain level of security clearance and special access for assigned staff. The selected candidate will be required to secure these accesses. Not being able to secure the Interim Secret Security Clearance needed for this position may result in an offer of employment being rescinded.
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons.
The Hardware Engineering Center (HWEC) designs and develops electronics and test equipment for RF, EW, Communications and EO sensors. The Center provides engineering, technology development, and manufacturing support for an extensive line of airborne, ground, and space-based systems.
The candidate’s specific work will vary but may include the following:
You will learn frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, concepts and techniques. You will be expected to provide recommendations to a variety of technical problems of appropriate scope and complexity, working under general supervision. Successful candidates should expect to be immersed in a fast-paced, team-based, and challenging technical environment where an individual with talent and initiative can stand out and thrive.U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.ORU.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.For Multi-Level Intern Requisitions: This position can be a Salary Grade of G02 or G03 based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.• G02 (College Freshman by Fall 2019) - 0 hours of college• G03 (College Sophomore by Fall 2019) - must have completed 30 hours of collegeRequired Skills:
- Review, develop and implement process improvements on components, materials and mechanical specifications and assembly drawings
- Candidate will be expected to follow established procedures in creation of technical data package, design guidelines while working closely with program / functional supervision to ensure the overall design objectives are met
- Perform analysis, qualification and acceptance testing on components, material, optical assemblies and mechanical fixtures and/or structures
- Provide manufacturing/process engineering support to Circuit Card Assembly (CCAs), optical assemblies and mechanical fixtures and/or structures
- Review designs for producibility and affordability
- Must be a college Freshman or Sophomore student by Fall 2019
- Basic/fundamental mechanical engineering classes in circuit theory/analysis in radio frequency (RF), power, and/or analog/digital design
- Experience working within a team environment
- Experience developing and delivering presentations (verbal and/or written) to key stakeholders
- Experience with MS Office tool suite
- Must be a college Freshman or Sophomore level by Fall 2019
- Must be able to obtain an interim Secret security clearance PRIOR to starting
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Experience with design, assembly, and integration of mechanical and/or optical systems
- Experience working in a lab environment and with standard lab tools
- Ability to demonstrate delivery quality and timely results
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to multi-task
- Ability to apply basic principles, theories, and concepts within the mechanical, chemistry or material engineering fields and general knowledge of other related disciplines
- Have strong technical aptitude as shown by strong grades or hands on lab experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience through school or extracurricular projects
- Be a hands on person with ability to work with production equipment
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (Please upload an unofficial transcript when applying)
Required Education (including major): Currently pursuing a BS / BA degree from a four-year university and entering as a college Freshman or Sophomore by Fall 2019. Must be working towards a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering Major, or equivalent technical discipline. Must be appropriate grade level listed above.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.