Sixty years ago, BBN Technologies (BBN) played a central role in creating ARPANet, the forerunner of the modern Internet. Now part of Raytheon Corporation, BBN continues to be the nation's premier research institution for advanced technologies applied to defense and national security problems. For its leadership in artificial intelligence, networking, cyber, quantum computing, and other fields, BBN was awarded the 2011 Presidential National Medal of Technology and Innovation “for sustained innovation through the engineering of first-of-a-kind, practical systems”. BBN is committed to excellence via inclusiveness, collegiality and employee life balance; many BBNers have built long-lasting, impactful careers with the company.
Who we are
Located in Arlington, VA, near downtown Washington, DC, BBN's Information Exploitation (IX) group performs cutting edge research for leading government agencies, solving problems that are both technically challenging and have a real operational impact. The IX group has worked on a variety of exciting prototype and operational systems:
• Scalable symbolic and probabilistic reasoners
• Fake news analysis
• Network inference from data, including causal and logistics networks
• Probabilistic state assessment from observations and action/collection decision optimization
• Entity disambiguation and co-reference resolution using vector embeddings learned from data
• Applying geospatial, temporal, and semantic context to big-data analysis
What you will do
We are looking for scientists interested in integrating traditionally separated AI fields of machine reasoning and machine learning. The ideal candidate will have research experience in any of the following technology areas: machine reasoning, machine learning, semantic web, and data science / analytics. You will be working on challenges including:
• Researching novel machine reasoning and learning algorithms and solutions to complex, open-ended intelligence problems.
What you will gain
•Developing high-performance software systems in a fast-paced, agile environment;
•Communicating our capabilities and accomplishments in customer interactions, grant proposals and academic papers;
•Leading project teams and growing networks of collaborators
What you need
• PhD in an AI-relevant field, or MS in an AI-relevant field and 2 years of experience
• Proficiency in one or more of Java, Python, or Prolog, and associated software development ecosystems
•Position may require some amount of overnight travel.
•Willingness to apply and be granted a US Government security clearance. US citizenship required.
Additional Skills that would be Awesome
• 2-3 years of related research experience and publications in one of the technical areas mentioned above
• New PhD graduates are strongly encouraged to apply
* Experience with machine reasoning technologies such as logic programming, ontological reasoning, probabilistic reasoning and others
* Experience with machine learning technologies such as deep learning, embeddings, and others
* Experience with semantic web (RDF/OWL/SPARQL) and data analytics technologies
Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation and collaboration. We are constantly striving to improve and better ourselves so that we can better support our clients. If you have a growth mindset and you thrive under pressure, Come Join Our Team!
We offer outstanding benefits that include flexible work schedules, a 5% 401k company match, a 5% Retirement Contribution plan, performance based incentive, an onsite gym (in Cambridge), paid parental leave, paid time off, and all kinds of employee discounts.
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.