Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader in defense, civil government and cybersecurity solutions thanks to employees who live our Values of Trust, Respect, Collaboration, Innovation and Accountability. Diversity is a part of our culture and a key to our success. When world-class talent works together in a place that is respectful and inclusive, we solve some of the world's hardest problems.
The Whole Life Systems Engineering (WLSE) Directorate is responsible for ensuring our products are Safe, Reliable, Maintainable, under configuration control and delivered on time. WLSE consists of multiple disciplines that support engineering, our program offices and our customers. WLSE disciplines participate in the total life cycle of our products from conception to deactivation. WLSE’s charter is focused in two main areas; product support and technical data support. In the product support area, the Departments include Reliability Engineering, System Safety, Mission Support and Lifecycle Engineering. On the technical data side, the Departments are Hardware Configuration Management and Integrated Design Check (CM/IDC), Software Configuration Management (SWCM), and Data Management, Engineering Support and Execution (DEX).
The System Safety Engineering Department is seeking a System Safety Engineering Intern for our facility in Tucson, AZ. System Safety Engineering ensures our Raytheon products safely perform their required mission functions through their required lifecycle environments while also meeting overall cost and schedule constraints. This position will be supporting programs specifically by working with experienced System Safety practitioners and missile engineering personnel to ensure that our products are designed with safety in mind.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.Required Education and Skills:
- Perform System Safety engineering tasks and analyses, applying technical knowledge to meet Raytheon and customer requirements
- Interpret system requirements, customer specifications and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination
- Design verification (fault tree analyses, hazard analyses, sneak circuit analyses, software system safety analyses)
- Prepare internal and customer reports describing various analyses relevant to the System Safety program
- Represent the System Safety Engineering Department as a member of the program, responsible for identifying key issues and addressing them to achieve optimal technical solutions
- Interface with and function across multiple disciplines to gain a full understanding of the product architecture and design
- Take an analytical approach and utilize technical knowledge to solve challenges with optimal solutions
Junior, Senior, or Post-graduate level standing in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) discipline. Must be pursuing a BS or MS degree.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Coursework in Industrial Safety, Hazardous Materials Management, or Hazard Prevention Management
- This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
This position can be a Salary Grade ST03, Salary Grade ST04 or Salary Grade ST05 based on the candidate's qualifications and standing as outlined below:
- ST03 (Junior Technical Intern)- must have completed 60 hours of college
- ST04 (Senior Technical Intern)- must have completed 90 hours of college
- ST05 (Post-Graduate Technical Intern)- must have an undergraduate degree, and be currently seeking a graduate degree (in degree fields listed in Required Education and Skills)
Desired Education and Skills:
Location:This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America’s 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson’s fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.Benefits:
- ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard
- 3.0 cumulative GPA desired
- Experience with C, C++, or Java
- Experience programming firmware/Programmable Logic Devices; exposure to VHDL programming and development environments
- Self-starter with the ability to independently pursue technical information and solve problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working on a team
- Multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- Problem solve and seek out additional resources
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues who represent a diversity of work and conflict resolution styles
Clearance:This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens. ***Please upload a copy of your most recent transcripts with your resume when applying to this requisition. Please include your cumulative GPA and projected graduation date on your resume. ***Check us out on YouTube:
- Student Loan Debt Contribution
- 9/80 work schedule – Every other Friday off
- Onsite Wellness Program – Health Screenings/Flu Shots
- 401K – Raytheon Savings & Investment Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Rstars is an enterprise-wide recognition program that allows you to give and receive thanks for notable and exceptional performance.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.