GDIT is looking for a senior Drupal developer to support the Department of Commerce (DOC) Enterprise Services Shared Service Initiative (DOC SSI) program team. A developer to deliver innovative solutions for improving the effectiveness, reach, and content of NTIA’s website. Our team will modernize and migrate the existing website to the cloud, and eventually manage day-to-day operations of the sites and its content within defined service levels.
The task at hand is to works with leaders to exploit the agency’s web presence, supports content owners, work with technology partners and its cloud partners. This role requires a combination of programming skills (PHP, HTML, CSS, JS) and aesthetics (understanding element arrangements on the screen, the color and font choices, and so on). The best candidate has a strong understanding of industry trends and the Drupal content management system (version 7, and 8+ preferred), using agile methodology for development and deployment processes. Some back-end knowledge is preferred. The primary work location will be remote with frequent travel to DOC HQ in Washington, DC area. Qualified applicants must be detail-oriented, results-driven individuals who communicate and collaborate effectively, work well within team environments, and have good interpersonal skills, as well as good client interaction skills.
Functional Responsibilities: Establishes system information requirements using analysis of the business analyst in the development of enterprise-wide or large scale information systems. Designs architecture to include the software, hardware, and communications to support the total requirements as well as provide for present and future cross-functional requirements and interfaces. As appropriate, ensures these systems are compatible and in compliance with the standards for open systems architectures, the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) and International Standards Organization (ISO) reference models, and profiles of standards - such as Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of an Information Management (IM) solution of the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application. Evaluates analytically and systematically problems of work flows, organization, and planning and develops appropriate corrective action.
- Back-end and Front-end website development based on requirements defined in user stories.
- Develop Object-Oriented (OO) code and/or provide maintenance and enhancements to existing code based upon a solid understanding of OO design
- Work with product owners to gather requirements; write functional and technical specifications.
- Direct and implement migrations to Drupal 8 from a variety of sources.
- Write clean, maintainable, and extensible code using platform and industry standards.
- Reliably deliver assigned tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Troubleshooting and resolution of website performance issues.
- Must be able to take ownership of the product delivery.
- Conduct multiple levels of testing including unit, system, integration and performance.
- In conjunction with project leads, estimate and plan iterative / agile releases for new CMS features and enhancements
- Participate in and, when appropriate, lead code reviews.
- Configure Drupal and create custom modules to meet requirements.
- Design, document, develop, and test an overall solution to include capabilities such as analytics, CMS content entry, CMS content migration, developing content types or content objects, site architecture, page templates, and explicit / implicit personalization.
- Anticipate issues and risks at the module level and escalate appropriately.
- Facilitate internal workshops and meetings.
- Communicate effectively with team members from other domains.
- Stay current on web technology trends and innovations and share information with the team.
- Assess existing solutions for usefulness, usability, and coding techniques.
- Identify tools, templates, and techniques that evolve existing approaches
- Years of Experience: 12 years of experience of which at least nine years must be specialized. Specialized experience includes: supervision of system architects, use of structured analysis, design methodologies and design tools (such as IDEF 1x, entity relationship diagrams, and other design techniques), object-oriented principles, and experience with the logical and physical functional, operational, and technical architecture of large and complex information systems. General experience includes increasing responsibilities in systems engineering.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s or equivalent in in computer science/systems, information systems/technology, engineering/engineering technology, software engineering/programming, management, natural sciences, social sciences, mathematics or business/finance; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Fluent with HTML5/XHTML and CSS
- Experience developing web solutions in Drupal and PHP implementations
- Ability to architect enterprise Drupal solutions including data, display, and information architecture
- Advanced site-building experience including familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Experience with version control systems
- Experience working with APIs, integrating with external web services (REST, XML, JSON) or 3rd party tools.
- Experience with accessibility/508 compliance
- Knowledge of PHP, PHP files and theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal theme layer
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs
- Experience cloud hosting strongly preferred. AWS, Azure experience is a plus
- Secret Clearance required
- Permanent Residency or US Citizenship Required
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training, and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs, and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.