GDIT is seeking a Microbiology Lab Supervisor in support of the Naval Health Research Center (NHRC) Infectious Disease Field Surveillance and Laboratory Research Services. As the Navy hub for the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center, the NHRC Operational Infectious Diseases Directorate conducts on-going, laboratory-based surveillance of US military populations in unique environments to quantify and study the etiology of infectious illnesses. This position will provide support services for operational infectious disease surveillance, accredited clinical laboratory testing, diagnostic evaluations, clinical research support and scientific research services.
Responsible for overseeing all daily aspects of laboratory procedures, results, technicians, and safety in the laboratory section assigned.
- Supervises and trains laboratory personnel in procedures of testing, equipment, safety and quality
- Firsthand knowledge of microbiology techniques in identification and characterization of bacteria and viruses by conventional culture methods, and antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Responsible for assuring all results released/entered into the database are complete, accurate and completed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the validation/verification of new lab assays and/or equipment.
- Upholds and ensures that policies and procedures are being followed based on current and/or future accrediting organizations (CAP).
- Writes, reviews and updates standard operating procedures and forms.
- Responsible for helping to identify trends in surveillance data and designing proper laboratory support of these projects.
- Updates laboratory capabilities with new techniques and assays as necessary and feasible.
- Monitors that all inventory of laboratory supplies are maintained.
- Performs computer data entry of lab results and other lab information.
- Monitors quality assurance for assigned laboratory section.
- Creates abstracts and manuscripts and the ability to present them at scientific conferences.
- Oversees the maintenance on equipment.
- Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- ASCP Certification
- 2 years’ clinical laboratory experience or a clinical laboratory certificate preferred
- Knowledge of microbiology, laboratory procedures, and safety
- Knowledge of standard laboratory
- Skill in use of word processing, spreadsheet, graphic, email, and database
- Skill in use of pipettes, microscopes, staining procedures and aseptic
- Ability to plan and prioritize work.
- Ability to supervise and train technicians and direct work
- Ability to distinguish
- Ability to make presentation to
- Ability to write manuscripts and abstracts.
- Ability to do long periods of repetitive
- Ability to correctly transcribe laboratory
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.