Do you have a passion for solving complex navigation system challenges?
Would you enjoy developing and transitioning advanced navigation capabilities into weapon system solutions for the US and our allies?
We are Raytheon Missile Systems, a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, security and civil markets where you’ll be part of a diverse global team working together to solve some of the most demanding challenges on the planet. We are seeking an experienced navigation systems engineering professional with technical leadership expertise in integrated Inertial/GPS navigation development, system integration, and performance analysis. The ideal candidate has proven experience in performing critical navigation system trades and resolving complex navigation problems with the presence required to advise program and engineering leadership teams in pursuit of organizational business objectives.
This is an Engineering Fellow position in the area of navigation systems design and analysis within the Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) discipline at Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) in Tucson, AZ. The Navigation Systems Engineering Fellowwill apply knowledge of hardware/software in the areas of Global Positioning Systems (GPS), inertial sensors, integrated INS/GPS navigation, and technology alternatives to GPS. The Engineering Fellow will lead others in the development of technical solutions to complex navigation problems that require application of advanced technical principles. The role requires acting independently, as well as working with early career engineers, to uncover and resolve issues associated with development and implementation of navigation system designs. The Engineering Fellow will guide the successful completion of navigation development and integration efforts in a technical leadership capacity. The individual will represent the organization as a subject matter expert within the field of navigation and will interact with senior leadership to plan and execute programs to accomplish long-range objectives, while also helping to shape the strategic direction of technology to accomplish long-term objectives.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Provide technical leadership for navigation development activities and develop solutions to complex technical problems often involving multiple subsystem interactions
- Apply knowledge of integrated Inertial Navigation System (INS) / Global Positioning System (GPS) subsystems to design, integrate and test software in simulation and real-time embedded systems
- Assist with system design decisions involving trade studies, requirements allocation, and verification methods that involve navigation
- Devise and implement algorithms and demonstrate performance results, including Kalman filters, strapdown algorithms, and alignment/initialization methods
- Analyze system performance and associated risk assessments in simulation, hardware subsystem test, and flight test environments
- Engage across engineering disciplines to ensure proper implementation and test of navigation designs and related flight hardware/software
- Pursue advanced research and development funding both internal and external to Raytheon
- Provide guidance, coaching / mentoring and training to other employees across the business within area of expertise.
- B.S. in Engineering, Math, Physics, or other engineering discipline (ABET accredited institution preferred)
- Twelve (12) years of professional experience in navigation system development
- Eight (8) years of experience using modeling/simulation tools (C/C++ or MATLAB/Simulink) to develop navigation systems, particularly six degree of freedom or covariance simulations
- Experience with modeling and simulation of navigation sensors, inertial algorithms, and Kalman filters
- Experience assessing navigation system performance using simulation, laboratory, and/or flight test data
- Recent experience preparing and presenting technical data and interacting with end-customer community such as in design reviews and technical interchange meetings
- Must provide evidence of patents and/or reviewed publications in applicable technical areas written / delivered within the last ten years
Desired Education, Skills and Experience:
- Must have an existing Department of Defense issued Secret or Top Secret Security clearance
- Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ (comprehensive relocation package available)
- Masters Degree or Ph.D. in aforementioned degrees
- Twenty (20) years of applied engineering experience in navigation design, analysis, and test
- Industry experience interfacing with Military or Department of Defense customers
- Broad GNC knowledge to understand the system level requirements allocation and dependencies upon navigation, as well as conduct trade studies and performance analysis at the system level
- Experience assessing navigation system integration risks through laboratory, ground, and flight test data analysis
- Knowledge of inertial measurement unit (IMU) characterization, calibration, and acceptance test processes
- Characterization of inertial sensors and GPS receivers for platform dynamics and environmental effects
- Experience with non-GPS navigation technologies including terrain aiding, celestial / star tracker, magnetometer, bathymetric, laser, or vision / imaging sensors
- Experience designing robust navigation systems with integrity monitoring including sensor measurement fault detection, isolation, and exclusion
- Experience with requirements specification and interface control documents (ICD) for navigation subsystems and navigation sensors
- Results-oriented and able to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines
- System level design experience collaborating across multiple engineering disciplines, such as software, electrical, mechanical, and test engineering
- Experience with proposal preparation to obtain research funding or new business contracts, spanning technical proposal development, work breakdown structures and cost estimation
- Prior active participation in a mentorship or coaching program involving several junior or mid-level engineers
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.